Blue Dot Theory

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Theoretically, how would the pressure/velocity data be acquired?

Theoretically, in the case of pre-existing Savage loads, the velocity would be confirmed on my chronographs. The peak pressures would be from empirical data from Savage, Western Powders, Barnes, etc. Theoretically.

Theoretically, for new loads, original load design would be constructed by using conservative charges formed from interior ballistics software which has current verified burning rate (vivacity) values from closed bomb testing, resulting in coefficients of burning, pro/degressivity ratios, ratio of specific heats, applied to the caseless cartridge dimensions I have defined using Savage 10ML-II bore dimensions. Bullet travel is a matter of measuring the top of the bullet in my gun to the muzzle. After this, my work is verified by senior ballisticians.

"Theoretically," this is the most precise interior ballistics calculculation presently possible. However, it is still a calculated value and must be married to actual chronograph readings to have merit. So, they are. Calculated velocity values and realized values have been within 4%; some within 20 fps MV. Theoretically.

No ballistics work is exact, but we are within 5% of the critical values. My goals are conservative in terms of peak pressure and velocity, so a 29,000 PSI peak pressure burn model verified by chronograph may have an actual peak of 29725 PSI-- or, 28275 PSI.

Theoretically, it is not difficult. All loads used are 100% case capacity loads, and in the case of my caseless cartridge-- there is no projectile seating depth, as it sits on top of the powder charge. I have no constrictions of a bottle-neck to address.

I've had the benefit of Hartmut Broemel, Johan Loubser, Ken Oehler, Del Ramsey, Savage Arms engineers, and others to train me-- and the resources of Western Powders to confirm my results.

Theoretically.

LOL!! Theoretically, Randy you did a fine job avoiding the disclamation of a disclaimer.....theorectically that is! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need my second cup!

It takes a lot of shooting to come up with really good theory.

The goal is not theoretical, though-- just a matter of getting the most out of a 10ML-II without coming near sabot damage, barrel fouling, or pounding my shoulder into the ground like a tent stake.

Better! After oral surgery to pluck out scar tissue, you think I would know better than to shoot a shotgun that doesn't fit. My own stupidity, that's all. Rifleman's got a dandy of a sporting clays range within driving distance-- should have thown in a couple of my clays guns.

I can tell you I sure don't look at a bead, for a large portion of the time-- there just wasn't any. :shock:

I heard that the range was pretty good. I'll have to take my Citori down next time and show Rifleman how the boys from the Northern part of the state can shoot... He may be the Rifleman, but they don't call me deadeye for nuthin'! :lol: Since I was born and raised in Illinois, I feel like I have some butt kicking to do to avenge someone's loss..... :shock: :lol:

Oh, I don't think either of us were expecting a round of applause. I'd have to start the case a day shooting again three times a week to get back to what I feel is a half-way competitive form.

It is a nice course, all true pairs if the scorecard reads right. A little light on battues, etc., but a nice course. My impression is that if you can crack better than 100 / 120 you are doing quite well.

Rifleman said:
Ask Bluedot now who got their butt kicked :wink:

I believe it was YOU that bought ME a candy bar!! :lol: Thanks! I don't try very hard when there isn't anything on the line........... 8)

Thanks for having me down again. I still had a blast, even tho the stripers weren't biting. So, I'll have to bring down my "A" game next time? :lol: Sporting clays or trap? Maybe a combination of both? Most birds broke wins?? Or a trip to the rifle range to give you home court advantage?? :D

Ply the Rifleman with pie-- he quickly falters into a helpless, but contented heap. :wink:

Well yes I did buy you a candy bar, but I am sure after the spanking you took over on the 5 stand course you would have figured out the real deal. You don't try hard? HAHAHA try to fool someone else, I will put it point blank, if you really wanna shoot for some jack I WILL take your money and you darn well know it.

So it looks like the shotgun takes another trip then! :D What's the game this time?

Randy: What's his favorite flavor?? I'd bring some down, but I'd hate to p... off Mylanda. :wink:

I am working on getting another browning xt, soo if I get to name the game, I will call her name ANNIE, 27 yd line. AH ha ha hahahahahaha BRUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hmmmmmm............. Why so close? :shock:

If his favorite is Donutn then I'll have to bring down some cream cheese cinammon rolls. Those'll convert him!

Rifleman said:

Oh, once you try these, you'll be addicted! It's not actually sour cream on top, but that's what it's called. I'll make sure to bring some down next time.

Back