Blue MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highoctane

Reaction score
After being out of BP hunting for the better part of 10 yrs when I decided to "get back into it" this year Ive found that they are different/new powders available than they were 10 yrs ago.

Before I found the BH209 powder on clearance sale I ran across Alliants Blue MZ pellets. These 24 packs were 5 dollars per. I bought all they had!!

Ive shot three loads of this stuff, 2 pellets per, Fed 209A, and the last bullet/sabot combo, (250gr Shockwave and superglide sabot) I loaded was like driving a nail about half way down the barrel.After getting back home I took the barrel off the action, removed the BP and low and behold there was that dreaded "crud ring". It didn't take long to remove the "ring". Few patches, brush and solvent remedied the issue.

I know what the manufacturer says and despite my initial and limited foray with Blue MZ and the crud ring I'm looking for real some real world experience from other shooters. I know this powder is not going to supplant BH209 in my ML but since I have 250-260 pellets of the stuff just wondering what I could expect from it..

thumbnail.jpg

Swab between shots, you might be surprised at the outcome.

I know what the manufacturer says and despite my initial and limited foray with Blue MZ and the crud ring I'm looking for real some real world experience from other shooters. I know this powder is not going to supplant BH209 in my ML but since I have 250-260 pellets of the stuff just wondering what I could expect from it..

View attachment 3664

Buy a ton of patches and go shoot. Pick up some cheap shot sabots/lead bullets and hone up on your shooting skills. I found a mess of white hots a couple years back and use them with the cheap shots to get the oldest grandson on the range to shoot his muzzleloader since he can seldom afford to be blasting quality stuff and its a learning thing for him with regard to understanding how different powders can create different challenges [crud ring] and cleaning needs. For next Christmas he's getting a box of crush ribs, some XTPs and a jug of blackhorn. He's shot all three in his gun but knows how much more fun he has when he can shoot without having to pinch.

I shoot mostly T7 and get a crud ring that dictates that I swab between shots. It was never really a problem. Honestly I would prefer not to have to swab. I do shoot BH occasionally but it is not my everyday powder. A while back I found Black MZ on sale. I think this is a relative of Blue MZ but I am not sure on that point. To my surprise I do not get a crud ring with the Black MZ. I certainly don’t understand the hows and whys of crud rings!!! In any case if I shoot all my stock of Black MZ and continue to be happy with the results, it my become my powder of choice.

Black MZ might have been discontinued. It was being made by APP for Alliant.

Blue MZ is just a dyed IMR White Hot. Exact same chemical composition is listed and same patent.

To be honest I kind of feared that Black MZ would not compete with T7 just due to the number of years it has been available. I hope you are wrong, but I doubt that you are!

Alliant still lists it on their website. I have my fingers crossed because I am starting to really like Black MZ

Latest posts

Back