Boar processing...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
(While this is somewhat cooking related, I felt it was just as much hunting related, so I figured I would put it here.)

After researching alot of information concerning Wild Boar processing/cooking, Mel I repeatedly keep coming across the same suggestion. Numerous ranchers/butchers/processors recommend the following process. (This should be done immediately after the kill, or alternatively for a shorter time with select large cuts, such as hams and shoulders, just prior to final cooking preparations.)

I for one, am certainly willing to it give a try when we prepare our next roast...

WILD MEAT SOAK and TENDERIZER

Skin and Debone or Quarter the animals out and place the meat in a large ice chest with the following mixture:

ICE WATER!! Along with ? cup of vinegar and a medium or large (18 - 20 oz) size container or real lemon juice.

Soak large portions of meat for 2 or even 3 days - changing the water as needed and keeping the water ICE COLD and all meat covered with the ice water. Soak the meat till it turns white and all blood is leached out.

NOTE, if the meat begins to darken or turn blue then you got too much vinegar! The meat is not spoiled!! Change the ice water and reduce or eliminate the vinegar.

JccB JccG

You don't really get to bleed a wild boar like you would a farm raised hog. I know ice water or even cold water will really take the blood out of a cut of venison.

That's what a butcher around here who is well known for his good results with venison says to do.

I do something very similar with my deer. I quarter it, put in an icechest with ice layered between each quarter/section of meat, and I liberally sprinkle the quarters with salt before covering with ice. Everytime I add ice, I also add salt. This uses osmosis to pull out a lot of the blood. Salt aids in the osmosis and also minimizes bacterial growth.

The vinegar your article suggests would also be to keep an acidic, anti-bacterial environment. Also, along with the lemon juice, it would act like meat tenderizer, breaking down some of th eouter tissue and allowing better leaching of the blood.

MM, I have bled out yellowfin tuna out using same procedure.

When I shot my boar in texas this spring a friend I was hunting with that lives there said that nutting a boar ASAP is imparetive. When gutting do not cut the bladder. Hose out the cavity and cool the meat ASAP. He shoots and traps several a year.

I have a cousin that has killed many hogs, that's what says is to cut the nuts and don't touch the bladder.

I recall years ago the local slaughter house would have people bring in domestic boars thinking they could eat them. They tried nutting them before and after killing them and the meat was still nasty. Had wild pig twice, the first was from a young one, good stuff, the second was from a boar and when we opened the door after it started cooking the house smelled really bad, we pitched it.

Here on SW Oklahoma I hunt hogs year around. When a hog is killed it is always field dressed carefully and washed out with water carried in the truck. At home the hog is hung up and completely hosed down.

In hot weather we place the hog in a huge insulated box with ice. It is important to pack the body cavity with ice. Have seen a lot of hogs spoil in hot weather. When the temperature is over 80 degrees you have two to three hours to get the animal iced down before it spoils.

Completely hosing down a big boar hog, washing out the insides and packing the body cavity with ice goes a long ways towards taking the smell out of the meat. We frequently get compliments from the butcher who processes our hogs.

Back