Bob Hoyt .54 flintlock barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier this year I had Mr. Hoyt make me a 32" .54 caliber flintlock barrel for my curly maple stock. I previously sighted it in but was concerned that the rear sight was too high so I took the front sight off and installed a lower one.
I took a guess and lowered the rear sight. My first shot at 25 yards hit the lower half of the bull using a 6:00 hold. After applying the orange sticky target dot I moved the target out to 50 yards and shot 3 more. These impacted about 2" above the 3" bull using the same 6 O'clock hold but grouped nicely shooting about as fast as I could load.
I lowered the rear sight some more and after letting the barrel cool took 3 more shots allowing a couple mins between each shot. These 3 printed inside an inch with shots #1 and #3 almost in the same hole. I was using a .530" ball and .018" pillow tick patch and Frontier Anti-rust lube pushed by 100 gr of Goex FFg powder.

Attachments

• DSCN0844.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 729
  • Hoyts 54.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 694
Very nice way to tune that rifle in. That should handle the job nice.

Nothing wrong with that.
Glad to see Bobby still turning out good shooting barrels.

Latest posts

Back