Bomb dropped in my lap today.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well guys as you know I lost a brother last month and 12 years ago this month I lost my older to cancer as well.That leaves me and our youngest brother now.I am 72 and a us marine on disability and he is 68(5-30-23).Had 44 years in before he retired 6 years ago.Well,he came over today and said he wanted to talk.In honore of our brothers he wants to do a diy elk hunt out in Colorado in 3 months.BUT,neith one of us can do over 6000 thousand feet elevation.We can get otc tags,but he wants to hunt in the n.e.,eastern, and south east part of the state.Neithe one of us know any thing about what units we are able to hunt.2nd rifle season is his choice of season to hunt.Both of us are dirt poor,but I may need to sale one of my muzzleloaders to make this work.Does any one here on the forum know of any low elevation places in these areas that perhaps we may be able to look into and see if it is doable for us?I have spoje to a colorado conservation officer but he may have as well been speaking french because I did not understand a thing he explained to me.So if anyone has any info and doesn't mind helping out a couple of old goats,I would be eternaly grateful.I know this is short notice,but I guess our brother passing was a wake up call for him.I can also leave my phone number if any one would care to talk.If I am out of line asking this,I am really sorry,but I have to give it a go at it.Thanks everyone in advance.

Forgot to mention that I asked him where he got the money to do this and I was told his land lord is giving him $800.00 and his girlfriend is helping with the rest of the money.So as I said I may have to sale my new Omega sml for this or back out of the whole thing.Tme will tell.

Brown man. I have hunted elk 5 times in Colorado and killed a 5x5 and a 6x6 on DIY hunts. But all in first rifle and above 7,000 or more.

To save money we camped out. There is a big advantage to camping where you hunt. First your not spending the money at the hotel or second at the restaurant. But 3rd, the biggest reason is if you do stay at a hotel you have to drive to and from your hunt area and that takes time. Time will work against you as the days go by and you get tired. I cant emphasize this enough. Sleep where you hunt and that will give you more time to sleep or rest. The year I got my 6x6 my buddy and I were sleeping and were awaken by the sounds of elk bugling. Ill never forget the excitement of that.

If you need something for the trip Ill gladly loan it to you. If you need a big gun I have a 338 WinMag that will make his eyes bulge from any angle.

Ill help any way I can.

Well,I guess I wore my brother down.Tonight he agreed for us instead stopping at a motel half way to Colorado we are going to just pull over to a road side rest area and get a couple of hours sleep and go in later that morning.Next I talked him into us camping out in a public land spot or blm property or national forest.So,no indoor sleeping on our hunt.Hunt where we sleep.Now,all I need to do is locate a tent some where for us to sleep in.He has a generator,a buddy heater and we both have sleeping bags.We are going to take as much food with us as we possibly can.Now to find a gmu that allows otc any bull elk tag. And possibly on some blm land.:woohoo:

No generator. Too noisy. In the silence of the mountain the elk will hear that for miles. A nice camp fire (a working chain saw and fuel) and a couple of coleman lanterns will do.

An insulated cushion under you sleeping bag will help a lot. If you have a second sleeping bag bring it. Better too have the option than being cold.

If you are looking for elk in the eastern parts of Colorado, you might strike out. I hunted there for many years and always had to go to the foothills at least before you start finding elk.

You need to find a young lad with a strong back to go with you!

Everywhere I use to hunt is now all draw areas.

Look for some area where the mountains meet the river if you need to hunt low.[hunt along the river]

Checked in a gmu 86 that is otc tags and 244 squ miles near a town called Salida.Areas around there at around 7500 hundred feet.We intend to do exactly as you stated on your last sentence.Thanks for the info.

Here we go again.My brother is feeling a lot better,so yesterday we went out to breakfast together.Guess what the subject was we talked about?I told him about Colorados muzzleloader hunting in Sept. when the rut is going on.And we watched numerous videos on people doing that.He seemed rather anxious after what happened back in Oct,during 2nd rifle season.So now I have the task of gathering up all information Colorado has on muzzleloading elk.Again on public land.I have spoken to several cpw officers and all they did was have me go around twiddling both my thumbs.So here is where you guys come in.If any one has muzzleloadered hunted elk with a muzzleloader in Colorado or any one who lives and cares to help with some information.on how to get a tag would be eternal grateful.I have read up on muzzleloaders,bullets,powders and sights,so that I believe is covered.We want to go on public land again(as last time).I am wanting to get everything done long before it gets here so I am not in a big rush as he put me in last time.So,if any one wants to pm me or talk on the phone that is okay.Las time was otc tags,but I do not know about with a muzzleloader.We hope to go back to the spot we were in in Oct.Thanks everyone with all your thoughts and prayers while he was sick.

Glad he is well.

Im not an expert but if I ever have the chance to go mz hunting for elk Ill use pure, heavy lead.

Edit
Like a no excuses 495 or 600 grain in a 50 caliber anyway.

I think those paper patch 45 cal 400 grain Im waiting to kill a deer with would be wonderful.

Last edited:
That is what I was thinking about.But your term of heavy and my term of heavy is probalydiffernt.I thought I might try a 300 grainer,and see how my shoulder handles that.

Latest posts

Back