It is here already.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to Colorado Thursday morning,went out and set up camp.Went to unit 691 and found a nice place that looked good over a wallowing hole.Went out Friday and scouted some more and came up on some mountain goats and later watched as some mule deer almost walked over us.Both were bucks.Friday night was a full moon and as it came over the mountains it was in all its splendor and glory.We went out Sat. morning and it sounded like a war was going on.We sat all day and saw no elk.Went back to camp after dark and had supper,watched the moon again and listened to the animals all night.Woke up Sunday morning there was 17'' of snow on the ground and 40 mph winds.A little later we heard snow mobiles and stopped in our camp.Told us we had to leave of the mountain because it was too dangerous for to be up there with the storm.So we packed up camp and got a motel room for the night thinking the storm will pass.Got up Monday and called the cwp division and asked them how long the roads will be closed.He told us for at least the rest of the week.Well we did not have the extra money to stay the whole week and our hunt was over the 5th of Nov.We only had enough money to come back home.So my brother said to pack it all back up in the truck and we left Monday and came back home yesterday.On the way home we talked about going back next year except I told him I wanted to go back for the early muzzleloader season and that way get in possibly more time to hunt and we will be taking a small camper this time,and not a tent.All the experience was good,it was not long enough,and wake up to 17'' of snow and 40 mph winds was a thrill in itself.We did give it our best try,though.

It sounds like you had a great time and experience. We were hunting out of Sundance years ago and when we got back to the tent after after it was snowing and blowing. I was wet head to toe so we went to the nearest restaurant to dry out and change cloths. On the weather channel they announced a storm had started and expected to last for 2 days. An accumulation of 48 inches and 70 mile an hour winds. We immediately got a hotel and were stuck there for 3 days. Roads closed. After the storm we made it back to our camp. Packed up and headed home. Thats part of hunting. It sounds like you were in the elk though. You had a couple of beautiful nights to enjoy. All in all It sounds like you enjoyed it. Super.

My brother and I are already talking about going back next Sept. to do a muzzleloaer hunt in the same area.I think it got him hooked on going back out.One problem I do see though.All my muzzleoaders are in the 45 cal category. So I may be looking for a .50 cal after our season is over next month and read up on all that is needed to meet colorado's muzzleloader regulations.Especialy now that I am getting my eye surgery done.

My brother and I are already talking about going back next Sept. to do a muzzleloaer hunt in the same area.I think it got him hooked on going back out.One problem I do see though.All my muzzleoaders are in the 45 cal category. So I may be looking for a .50 cal after our season is over next month and read up on all that is needed to meet colorado's muzzleloader regulations.Especialy now that I am getting my eye surgery done.
good luck with the eye.

Latest posts

Back