Bore butter alternatives diy for your revolver

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
As I’m reading more about these revolvers black powder revolver’s I am learning more and I’m fascinated.

One of the things that I found interesting is using butter after you have loaded the cylinder

Smart idea I would’ve never thought of it makes sense so you don’t want any type of spark jumping across into another chamber causing a catastrophic fail.

so besides bore butter are there any alternatives to capping off those cylinders

I heard Crisco I’ve heard beeswax mixed with olive oil. There is commercially prepared bore butter of course.

I PERSONALLY WOULD LIKE A STIFFER MATERIAL! Something that doesn’t quite melt as easily with the heat.

Another cool thing I learned about this bore butter application is that you can essentially seal the end of the cylinder and keep a charge in there for a little while if you want to.
as matter fact if you turn the percussion cap to where the percussion cap actually meets the nipple and apply a little bit of finger nail polish that will aid in sealing it as well.

That means It’s totally awesome boys because let’s say I have a schedule of going to the range every week or every other week I can just go ahead and leave my black powder revolver loaded up after cleaning and ready for action. just as a secondary home defense weapon. just in case. then go ahead and take my pistol to the range after removing the percussion caps Making it legal for transport.

X3 op wad. But i may leave em off so i can get more powder in there. Ive used bore butter before, over the bullet. I may give that beeswax/oil mix a try for over the bullet. I do like a simple recipe. But I feel like the nasa lube on my bullets may be enough lube both for the bullet and chain fire risk.

X3 op wad. But i may leave em off so i can get more powder in there. Ive used bore butter before, over the bullet. I may give that beeswax/oil mix a try for over the bullet. I do like a simple recipe. But I feel like the nasa lube on my bullets may be enough lube both for the bullet and chain fire risk.
Never had a chain fire (knock on wood) with the Wads. I've SEEN chain fires caused by loose caps on the nipples before too....that's why I use the 1075 RWS caps on the revolvers.They have to be pressed on.

Hey guys have a look at this and tell me what you think.
first layer is 12g triple 777
Second is a paper towel wad
On top of that a bit of cornmeal or cream of wheat filler
Forth layer is our .454 ball
Fifth layer is a light caulking of lube

it’s a 1851 brass frame and all I have is the T7 so it’s important to do a minimum charge.

I should also mention that I have zero interest in making my own felt wads as in punching them out. If I absolutely had to I would buy them unless I could use say a stack of playing cards or some thing where I could punch 20 at a time.

The lubricant itself is probably gonna be Crisco or beeswax mix with some type of oil probably olive oil.

There is no chance of getting black powder there might be a slim chance of getting pyrodex but I don’t wanna go that route I’m going to try to use the 2F triple seven that I have. and yes I do realize the most pistols take 3F but I’m gonna use the 2F which I already have.

31FD9DC8-53F5-450A-AEAD-44F98819FAC0.jpeg

I would avoid the crisco as a lube. Just because Ive heard that it may contain salt. Beeswax and olive oil sounds like a good one. I think that if you did have a thicker wool wad you wouldnt need the filler. Otherwise shoot 'er! See what you get! I have a bottle of Pyrodex P that you can have if you dont like the T7. I think you will tho.

Powder, lubed wonder wad and then.454 ball in that order works for me with no problems In my 1858 and 1860
I'm thinking about trying 10 Gr. of 3f and then 10 Gr. of Black horn 209 ,Wonder wad and .454 Ball in that order.
Just to see what the results will be. It's on my list to do. Just more time in the loading process.
I think the black will get the blackhorn lit. Basically a duplex load.

I’ve shot round balls from my C&B revolvers w/o wads leaving the outside dry, as well as slathering Bore Butter all over everything, making a mess. I tend to be a “more is better, too much is just enough” type of guy, so the external lube is probably a poor choice for me! 🤪

I tried some wax/lube seals 20 years ago, maybe from Ox-Yoke/Wonder Wad? IIRC, I might have tried them under the ball, and also tried over the ball(?). They didn’t strike me as terribly helpful, so I abandoned them. Since I dismissed them years ago, naturally I’ve been thinking lately of making my own. They’re about #3,046 on my ever-growing “I gotta try that” To-Do list.

The “dry lubed” wads always struck me as kind of a scam. I tried them, but don’t plan to try them again.

I’ve gone to using home-punched wool over-powder wads soaked heavily in “Gatofeo #1” lube, as described here and elsewhere. They carry lots of lube, and firm up nicely for me. The lube can be adapted to different climes, so I would add more paraffin to stiffen them up, if I lived “down South.” They’re extremely easy to use. They help keep the fouling soft, and I think they kind of “squeegee“ out the bore, while shooting. I think they’re kind of fun to make, proving that “The brilliant are easily amused!” 🤠

I’ve never fooled around w/paper cartridges for C&B revolver, but they intrigue me. #3,047 on the To-Do list. 💡

Actually… the paper cartridges just moved to #3,048. I’ve been reading about paper patching bullets for my CVA Optima, since I started reading here! :D

I’ve been here just a short time, but this is a great Forum, full of friendly, helpful folks! As the youngsters say, “Sorry, not sorry” for dredging up old posts to insert my $0.02. Obviously I’m working my way through the archives. Lots of good reading!

-12F air temp here this AM, so it’s a good day to be inside. I’m glad that I don’t live somewhere that it gets really cold, like some of our members! 🥶

Last edited:
Home brew Gato Feo #1 is an excellent lube for black powder patches, grease groove bullets, and bp revolver loads.

by weight ...

1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works)
1 part canning wax (gulf)
1/2 part beeswax

Heat/melt in jar, in a pot of water, double boiler style.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

^^^^^^ RFD has it right there. That's what I use in my .36 cal '51 with 18g T7fff and a wax card over powder and a hand punched Gato soaked wool wad. Middle of summer and cold of winter, all good.

Latest posts

Back