Bore Rust Frustration

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own two blued Knights, an American and an MK-85. I bought both of these used. The exteriors are in good shape. On both, I always get rust on the patch after and in-between cleanings. I've tried everything I can think of, repeated cleanings, steel wool, and bore paste. I am using a quality oil to protect the bore. Anything else I should be trying. I've tried to live with it, but it bugs me. I haven't had these issues with my stainless Knights, once I got them cleaned up the patches come out white. Thanks as always.

View attachment 23610
I’m surprised no one has mentioned using a desiccant. Do you use any type of dehumidifier or desiccant in your safe? This will help control moisture.
I have known BR shooters to coat the inside of their Bores with patches saturated in graphite. Lock eeze is a common product to use. This coats the inside of the bore and fills in the voids that can lead to throat erosion (or so the logic goes). Might help a lot with corrosion. The lock eeze can be applied wet on a patch, then left for the solvent to evaporate. A dry patch later will remove graphite, but a lot of guys just shoot it that way.
Good luck! Brown patches are no fun…

Just because it is an orange color doesn’t mean it is rust? Or if it is it may be so little as to not affect you barrel. I have a blued barrel that I have owned for almost 40 years. Used to shoot pyrodex, but now shoot 777 in it. I clean it and oil it every time I shoot. Patches come out the same color as yours when I go to shoot it again. In all that time, I have never gotten rust in the barrel when examined with a bore light.

One word: “Ballistol”. After I finish the cleaning, I use the aerosol, straight up.no mixing.
I've used Ballistol for a long time for many things, like WD-40. After viewing a corrosion protection test on YouTube I've gone with the winner. CLENZOIL. The only product that SEEMS to have solved the bore rust problem of my 160 year- old percussion double rifle.

Borescope (Teslong 45 ") from Amz.
showed lead in my ROA and surface rust in a TC .54 that is cleaned regularly with others while waiting for next range time. I should have bought one a long time ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_194520229.jpg
    IMG_20220923_194520229.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220924_111404253.jpg
    IMG_20220924_111404253.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
My cleaning method does not include hot water, dish soap or ballistol.

1. Before leaving the range the bore is swabbed using a patch wet with Windex with vinegar.

2. At home the bore is swabbed with a couple dry patches.

3. The bore is swabbed with a patch wet with tap water. The bore may get a few strokes with a bronze brush to remove the crud in the grooves.

4. The bore is swabbed with a couple dry patches.

5. The bore is swabbed with a patch moist with WD-40.

6. If the rifle will be used in a few weeks it's left alone. For storage the bore is swabbed to remove the WD-40 and is swabbed with a patch moist with MiliTec 1 or synthetic motor oil.

My muzzleloaders don't rust.

Aren't you concerned about using vinegar since it's a mild acid? I wouldn't use it myself.

I use the hottest water I can stand with Dawn soap in a 5 gallon bucket to stick my T/C barrels in to flush/swab. Then dump out water and repeat with luke warm water, this will eliminate flash rusting.
My quote of edmehlig did not work

Cleaning of course can vary depending on powder type used. I’m pretty much B209 all the time now.

I’ve been experimenting with protection on some guns that are in midterm or so storage, mostly milsurps my son has an interest in. My current experimentation has been with corrosion preventative sprays. After the gun & bore are clean, I give the bore, action a squirt then wipe the outsides.

Some of the sprays are at auto stores, Home Depot, and Amazon. I think I have a picture of one. Again, these are more for storage periods.

Attachments

• 9E6403C3-7556-453C-8416-8B90BA3633B7.png
    9E6403C3-7556-453C-8416-8B90BA3633B7.png
    730.9 KB · Views: 0
Aren't you concerned about using vinegar since it's a mild acid?
No!!!!!!

I wouldn't use it myself.

Then don't use the stuff.

Began using Windex with vinegar after reading an article by Mike Venturino, then the black powder editor for Shooting Times magazine. Mike uses the stuff to clean his black powder Colts and Winchesters. Many SASS shooters use Windex with vinegar to clean their revolvers.

Windex with vinegar contains about three percent acetic acid. The acid quickly dissolves and neutralizes the crud of black powder and the substitutes which are base. i used the stuff to clean my collection of Winchesters. Some of those guns sold for over $10,000.

My guns have been untouched by human hands for as long as two years while i worked overseas. My guns never rust.

Wipe barrel inside with 2 stroke synthetic oil and dry patch before shooting it will help with fouling also makes loading much easier too.

Hot water and dish soap, followed by Birchwood Casey Barricade. Never an issue for me.

Get one of those cheap steam cleaners off Amazon they will clean it down to bare metal, dry then oil. Make sure to put gloves on when doing it as barrel gets hot but it works.

Latest posts

Back