Borescope pics of Over Powder Wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I was Loading up to Foul my Bore and decided this would be a good time to Show the Over Powder Wad On top of the Powder Charge

First up is the .460 Diameter Nitro Card by Circle Fly, they are THICK at 0.135, my Bore is .450, .458 Groove. This thing should be sealing up REALLY good, but it sure doesn’t look it? Look in the Land/Groove Corners of this Square Cut Rifling, See the Gap? I would think That would allow Gas LEAKAGE upon initial Touch off? Maybe it would “Bump up” Immediately, I can only Speculate? I am NOT a Fan of this one at all

W0ooDGr.png

BOcJIr0.jpg

Next up is Oversize Wool, this is a .50 Cal Wool Wad in my .45 Cal Rifle, .450 Bore, .458 Groove. This 1/8” Thick Wool Felt are the OP Wads I ABSOLUTELY Swear by! I have my BEST Luck with these, They Seal the Bore GOOD N TIGHT, and Release from the Bullet Base IMMEDIATELY upon Exiting, And Being Soft, they are Forgiving. This Stuff is HANDS DOWN my Favorite Over Powder Wad Material!

YLqN5T9.png

Last, and the Most impressive “looking” is the .060 Thick LDPE (Low Density Poly Ethylene) Look how this Wad is “BIT IN” the Land/Grooves, especially the Corners. These things Seal the Bore/Grooves (Square Cut Rifling) REALLY GOOD N TIGHT. I need to Tinker with these Some more. I can make these in .030, and .060 Thickness, I have a BUNCH of Bulk Material, and Press Mounted Wad Punches
3Bl2hZP.png

While I don't shoot anything that requires an over powder wad, these pics are pretty impressive and should help a lot of people. Just looking at that poly wad makes me think that they're just the ticket but the proof is in the pudding [shooting] or so they say. Nice e pics though...clear as a bell.

For me the poly wads are more consistent than the fiber wad. Don't really like spreading plastic all over the world, but when switching to fiber wad, seem to get a flier now, and again. Am forced by shooting results to use the poly wad.

For me the poly wads are more consistent than the fiber wad. Don't really like spreading plastic all over the world, but when switching to fiber wad, seem to get a flier now, and again. Am forced by shooting results to use the poly wad.
Great pictures, Lewis, and good to know what the wads look like in place in the bore. However, I am AGHAST at the machining marks, especially in the grooves!! Amazing what a little magnification will show you. And this is in a good shooting rifle??

Great pictures, Lewis, and good to know what the wads look like in place in the bore. However, I am AGHAST at the machining marks, especially in the grooves!! Amazing what a little magnification will show you. And this is in a good shooting rifle??

That is an EXCEPTIONAL Shooting Rifle, 1 of my TOP DOGS! What do you mean? This Rifling looks INCREDIBLY GOOD!! You need to have a Peek inside a BRAND NEW Stock Production Barrel, I would say ANY Barrel for that Matter (Though I cannot Speak for Barrels Such as Krieger Etc.) Even a Brand New Green Mountain, it Would SCARE the Daylights out of YA :)

Here is a Brand New 32” Green Mountain Roundball Twist Barrel, I polished this one to get it this Mirrored out Nice (it did NOT come like this, Not even Remotely close!) I took a little more time on this Barrel since it’s a Patched Roundball Barrel, Easier on Patches, and MUCH easier to Clean. But even here, you stil see the Tooling Marks. Believe me, They ALL Have them! As long as they Shoot Good, It doesn’t matter to me What they look like
YwsO64al.png

nAnaPnOl.png

Ol3Vuljl.png

BztqmBam.jpg

That is an EXCEPTIONAL Shooting Rifle, 1 of my TOP DOGS! What do you mean? This Rifling looks INCREDIBLY GOOD!! You need to have a Peek inside a BRAND NEW Stock Production Barrel, I would say ANY Barrel for that Matter (Though I cannot Speak for Barrels Such as Krieger Etc.) Even a Brand New Green Mountain, it Would SCARE the Daylights out of YA :)

Here is a Brand New 32” Green Mountain Roundball Twist Barrel, I polished this one to get it this Mirrored out Nice. I took a little more time on this Barrel since it’s a Patched Roundball Barrel, Easier on Patches, and MUCH easier to Clean. But even here, you stil see the Tooling Marks. Believe me, They ALL Have them! As long as they Shoot Good, It doesn’t matter to me What they look like
YwsO64al.png

nAnaPnOl.png

Ol3Vuljl.png

BztqmBam.jpg
Man, that bore scope takes beautiful images!! I had no idea what a "normal" bore looks like.

For the Record, ALL of my Barrels go through the LEE SHAVER “BARREL BREAK IN” Procedure, It is the FIRST thing i do to a Brand New Barrel, or used but “new to me” Barrel before i ever shoot it. All of my Barrels shoot LIGHTS OUT Good or they are NOT Welcome at my Home. The Procedure hurts ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and makes them Much easier to Clean, Care for, a WIN WIN Situation :lewis:

Since I know nothing of over powder wads, I have a question. I'm considering using op wads on some knurled bullets to ensure a proper gas seal to ignite Blackhorn 209 which requires a complete seal to ignite.
As the wads seem awkward to insert in the barrel and get positioned correctly, as I said I have never used them but have seen the instructional videos.
Could just a dab of a simple kids glue stick be used to adhere the wad to the base of the bullet to easily load wad and bullet together ?
This stuff is very low adhesion and I would think the pressure, velocity and heat would instantly release the wad at the shot.
Please don't be offended if this is a dumb question.

Since I know nothing of over powder wads, I have a question. I'm considering using op wads on some knurled bullets to ensure a proper gas seal to ignite Blackhorn 209 which requires a complete seal to ignite.
As the wads seem awkward to insert in the barrel and get positioned correctly, as I said I have never used them but have seen the instructional videos.
Could just a dab of a simple kids glue stick be used to adhere the wad to the base of the bullet to easily load wad and bullet together ?
This stuff is very low adhesion and I would think the pressure, velocity and heat would instantly release the wad at the shot.
I have used a little bit of bullet lube to stick them to the bullet a few times til i got better at loading them by themselves.

The last thing you want is a wad stuck on the boolit , I punch either coffee filter or newpaper wads last under the (boolit base) and then what ever wad you choose separates like a paper patch at the muzzle ! I get picky shooting long and have been known to use at base coffee wad/or newspaper over .060 poly over powder so nothing gets a free ride down range . Hitch hikers create fliers that arn"t needed as I create enough all by myself

The last thing you want is a wad stuck on the boolit , I punch either coffee filter or newpaper wads last under the (boolit base) and then what ever wad you choose separates like a paper patch at the muzzle ! I get picky shooting long and have been known to use at base coffee wad/or newspaper over .060 poly over powder so nothing gets a free ride down range . Hitch hikers create fliers that arn"t needed as I create enough all by myself

Good Stuff Ed! :lewis: Newspaper wads is something i have Spoke of Several times on here, they are used a LOT by BPCR Guy’s, They help the Wad Separate from the Bullet Base upon Exiting the Muzzle. A Stuck Wad is a Gauranteed BAD Deal!

I prefer 1/8” Wool Felt Over ALL OTHER Wad Types HANDS DOWN. Wool felt works the BEST for me with EVERY Bullet Type i Shoot, Paper Patch, and Grease Groove Mostly, But i Shoot a Fair amount of Jacketed Sabotless in my Sidelocks for fun as well. If i could Choose ONLY 1 Wad Material, it would be 1/8” Wool Felt, it works with Everything

Thank You for info.

Good Stuff Ed! :lewis: Newspaper wads is something i have Spoke of Several times on here, they are used a LOT by BPCR Guy’s, They help the Wad Separate from the Bullet Base upon Exiting the Muzzle. A Stuck Wad is a Gauranteed BAD Deal!

I prefer 1/8” Wool Felt Over ALL OTHER Wad Types HANDS DOWN. Wool felt works the BEST for me with EVERY Bullet Type i Shoot, Paper Patch, and Grease Groove Mostly, But i Shoot a Fair amount of Jacketed Sabotless in my Sidelocks for fun as well. If i could Choose ONLY 1 Wad Material, it would be 1/8” Wool Felt, it works with Everything
Thank You for info.

Great posting as usual Lewis . The things you post are Always informative and very helpfull . High tech yet presented so simply and clearly . They are always a joy to read !!! The best part is they are also done by a guy that actually does what he posts . I value that integrity greatly as some lack much hands on experiance . A shooter can sure appreciate the obvious passion and thought you always display . So very happy to call you " friend " !!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back