Box Calls...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaHunter

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a new box call for our spring turkey season. With today's options of wood species and construction styles one can get lost really quick. I've seen the offerings at the local stores and have looked through most of the sites on the internet so I know what's out there. I know we have some dedicated turkey hunters here so I was just looking for some input. Any thoughts???

IndianaHunter

i have a lynch world champion box call that i have been useing for 25 years and have called a lot of birds with it.

IndianaHunter, I've used an American Friction Cut-N-Paddle box call for a few years now and it's without a doubt one of the best sounding box calls I've ever witnessed. It's my go-to call now, I use it more than all my other calls combined. I've called a pile of turkeys in for myself and others with this call since I've had it. It has great range and will call a turkey from a long distance or you can play it as softly as you like. Bruce Wurth won the NWTF Grand National Long Box Championship three different times with this call and that alone speaks for itself. Check one out, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with it! If you want to hear any of his calls, you can call him at (707) 422-3899 and he will play them for you on the phone and give you any information or advice on them that you would like. I talked to him after I got mine and he was a fine gentleman.

Here is his website http://www.americanfriction.com/index.htm

I have the standard model below @ $99.95 but it has been well worth it. Good luck!
cutnn1.jpg

I bought my wife a Primos Boxcutter to play with this year and I was really surprised how great that thing sounds for a $25 box call. I have more expensive box's that dont' work as well as that. If she don't get the turkey bug or decides she doesn't want to call I'm gona slide that into my vest. :lol:

Box Calls

I recommend going to your local outfitter/sporting goods store and trying a few for yourself. I'll bet if you take 4 different calls out of their pkgs and stroke 'em in succession (one right after the other), that one out of the 4 will jump right out at you as being the better sounding call. If you want a call that will last for decades without losing it's tone I'd suggest staying away from calls made with mahogony. I know that a lot of manufacturers use mahogany and it really does sound great. For now. But wait a few years and you'll understand what I'm talking about. Almost any other wood is fine as long as it's taken care of.

Re: Box Calls

Buck 762 said:
If you want a call that will last for decades without losing it's tone I'd suggest staying away from calls made with mahogony. I know that a lot of manufacturers use mahogany and it really does sound great. For now. But wait a few years and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Why is that?

Box Calls

Not exactly sure but I'd reckon it has something to do with slight warping as the wood becomes older and dryer and therefore loses it's tone. I've tried tuning on it several times (mahogany rails w/walnut paddle) and have finally given up. I have another one made out of cherry (about 12 years old) and sassafras and it still sounds real good. The older call's sour sound could be a fluke but I'm guessing not. Again, I'm not the authority on calls but have a few turkey seasons under my belt. I'd like to hear from an expert on the issue and see what he/she has to say about it. Never to old to learn something.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." John Wooden

I have several of Marlin Watkins calls, longboxes, regular boxes, trumpets and a couple of his slate calls. I HIGHLY recommend one of his walnut with red cedar longboxes, he puts several different turkeys into each of his calls. If you wanted a regular box his butternut with ebony lid would be a great choice. He will play them on the phone for you. There is a short video on the Strut Zone of him playing some of his calls. Have contact info., if needed.

Back