Boycott/ Limit purchase of BH 209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now that most hunting seasons are over. I find BH 209 pretty available. I found at least 5 different retailers today that have it in stock. Going rate is $70-80/ bottle

My proposal: Buy only if you really need it. If you buy, get only the amount you need in the near future.

It’s the only way we have any hope of getting the price down.

For me: I like it better than any other powder (and I have used them all) but won’t be buying any at these prices. We all have time to retool before next fall’s hunting seasons.

There are other great powders out there that we did just fine with before BH. Keep that in mind

Now that most hunting seasons are over. I find BH 209 pretty available. I found at least 5 different retailers today that have it in stock. Going rate is $70-80/ bottle

My proposal: Buy only if you really need it. If you buy, get only the amount you need in the near future.

It’s the only way we have any hope of getting the price down.

For me: I like it better than any other powder (and I have used them all) but won’t be buying any at these prices. We all have time to retool before next fall’s hunting seasons.

There are other great powders out there that we did just fine with before BH. Keep that in mind
I certainly appreciate your thoughts on this issue. However I don't think prices will ever go down. The huge price increase easily makes up for customers who walk away because of the increase. They also profit from less production costs. As I said before this is what monopolies do. Imho the high prices are here to stay. We'd better get use to it.

Prices seem to be all over the place not only for BH-209 but reloading powders. Price gouging at it`s best. I do very little business with BP or C anymore unless I get gift cards. Their are some retailers that don`t price gough I just have to check in more often to see if they have product.
When I go to the range I do not shoot my muzzy`s as much as I use to because it`s hard to replace BH-209. I guess I could substitute it with other substitutes I have on hand and in the future I will most likely do that. Good day.

Personally for shooting from the bench I see zero problem with swabbing between shots and doing a nice thorough clean after my session. To me it's part of the fun in some weird way.

I do plan to switch to BH209 for hunting season though, non corrosive and easy field reloading is nice for hunting.

Range, I don’t think we will ever see the pricing we had before Covid. But I think if more people “just say no” to these current prices, we can see them back in the $40-50 range. Their production costs should eventually come down. And they would make more money selling 1 mil at $50 vs 1/4 mil at $70. Bottom line is if the demand goes in the toilet, pricing will have to drop. I know my demand is now zero unless price drops. And I won’t lose much sleep over it either way

Last edited:
Im trying to switch to non-Hodgdon powders by going to smokeless. Its tough when they have most of the powder brands. There are other brands out there tho, subs and smokeless.
That got me to thinking, what powder company DON'T they own? Alliant, Vihtavuori, Shooter's World? I'm sure there are some more, but they have a big piece of the market for sure.

Yea I'm sticking it to the man, I got 4#'s of 777 coming in the mail tomorrow. I was pretty happy with that order until I remembered hodgscam makes 777 too. Well at least that's still relatively cheap. Maybe it's costing them more to make, and maybe it isn't, it doesn't matter to me, at $160 or more per pound I have zero interest in it.

That got me to thinking, what powder company DON'T they own? Alliant, Vihtavuori, Shooter's World? I'm sure there are some more, but they have a big piece of the market for sure.
Pretty sure Shooters world is just a label, not a powder manufacturer. So who knows where their powder comes from, but i would buy their powder if i ever saw it in stock anywhere. And even tho its an overseas company I try to buy VV when i can or Alliant.

Pretty sure Shooters world is just a label, not a powder manufacturer. So who knows where their powder comes from, but i would buy their powder if i ever saw it in stock anywhere. And even tho its an overseas company I try to buy VV when i can or Alliant.
I just looked it up. Looks like Shooter's World is a label as you said. Manufacturer is a company named Explosia out of the Czech Republic.

Most of my reloading powder is Hodgdon; HS6, HP38, CFE Pistol & 223, H335.

I have some Vihtavuori N340 that I liked a lot.

Back