BP Compressing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Without a compression die and only a Lee Classic Reloader, is there a safe/recommended way to compress the BP for 45/70 shooting from 32" Pedersoli "Business" model. (Cabela's version) I have Starline brass, Swiss 2 & 3 FFG, Montana Bullet Works 45, LBT, 535GR*, POSTELL in .458 over a felt wad. BP is delivered via a drop tube. The bullets are sized and come pre-lubed with SPG. Rifle is new to me so need to do a work up. Plan on starting with 60 gr 2 FFG and working up. Past experience with other guns suggests a final load in the 67 - 70 gr range. I have Pyrodex but now that I can get Holy Black I will use only that.
Does this sound reasonable or is my "mad cow" catching up to me...?

Without a compression die and only a Lee Classic Reloader, is there a safe/recommended way to compress the BP for 45/70 shooting from 32" Pedersoli "Business" model. (Cabela's version) I have Starline brass, Swiss 2 & 3 FFG, Montana Bullet Works 45, LBT, 535GR*, POSTELL in .458 over a felt wad. BP is delivered via a drop tube. The bullets are sized and come pre-lubed with SPG. Rifle is new to me so need to do a work up. Plan on starting with 60 gr 2 FFG and working up. Past experience with other guns suggests a final load in the 67 - 70 gr range. I have Pyrodex but now that I can get Holy Black I will use only that.
Does this sound reasonable or is my "mad cow" catching up to me...?

With no powder compression die, I guess you will have to use the bullet to compress the powder. I would not try to compress the powder more than 1/8 inch using the bullet. You will be able to get a little more powder in the case if you go to a .060 veggie or poly wad instead of the 1/8 inch felt wad. X

I have a load given to me by the late Dan Theodor, one of the old time BP gurus . Called it his simple load. 458, 530 gr - 459, 525 gr. SPG orDGL lube. Fill case w/ swiss 1.5 without any powder compression when the bullet is seated. Use BR2 primers for 45/70. Use .060 LDPE wad over powder. Use about .002 neck tension, shoot and use blow tube. Patch bore with patchs damp with water - dry and oil. Printed 4-17-2015, Dan T Designs.

With no powder compression die, I guess you will have to use the bullet to compress the powder. I would not try to compress the powder more than 1/8 inch using the bullet. You will be able to get a little more powder in the case if you go to a .060 veggie or poly wad instead of the 1/8 inch felt wad. X
Ok. Thx...that's what I thought

I have a load given to me by the late Dan Theodor, one of the old time BP gurus . Called it his simple load. 458, 530 gr - 459, 525 gr. SPG orDGL lube. Fill case w/ swiss 1.5 without any powder compression when the bullet is seated. Use BR2 primers for 45/70. Use .060 LDPE wad over powder. Use about .002 neck tension, shoot and use blow tube. Patch bore with patchs damp with water - dry and oil. Printed 4-17-2015, Dan T Designs.
I'll give that a try...thx

Back