Break Action or Pivot Block

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hod

Reaction score
Hello I am looking a CVA Muzzleloaders and was wondering witch type would be better for a begginer. Also the pro and cons of each type betwenn the two. Thank for the help.

Hod

Which two muzzleloaders specifically are you looking at?

The two that I am looking at are the Kodiak 50 Magnum Pivot block or the Optima 50 magnum break action.

Hod

Hod - either one of them will do the trick. I personally would save a little longer and look at a T/C Triumph or a Knight Rolling Block rifle. Again, this is just my personal opinion as I feel they are a better value for the money.

There are a lot of satisfied Optima owners. Most of them claim the Optima Pro is the better rifle. I guess you should really handle both the Optima and the Kodiak at a store and see which one fits you best. Both are going to be about as easy to clean as the next. Both are going to give you good accuracy with the rifle load.

There was some people reporting hair line cracks forming in their Kodiak rifles at the locking lugs. Whether they were concerned about them enough to send them back to BPI which is the CVA parent company I could not say.

I have an old CVA Staghorn Magnum that I paid $89.00 for. (Well it was a gift actually) and it is a good shooter. I load 90 grains of powder and it shoots a powerbelt very accurate. Anything more then 90 grains and it will not shoot worth a darn and I do not want to shoot more powder out of it for personal reasons. It is a good 100 yard rifle with the open sights.

Again, handle the two rifles you like and see if the difference in the stock design will make up your mind. I personally did not like the way an Optima felt on my shoulder, but then again I do not like an Encore either. I am sure with time I could get used to it though.

Back