Breech Plug Cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWSmith

Reaction score
What is your method of cleaning the breech plug?
How important is it to have the fire channel completely clean?

I pull mine, dip it in hot water, brush off the big chunks, then drop it into a small container with some cleaning solution (I use one called 624 because I get it cheap :) ). Close the lid, shake the crap out of it, then let it sit while I clean the rest of the rifle.

Take it out of the container and use a cleaning patch on both ends of the plug. Use a pipe cleaner to swab the inside of the flame channel (as best possible) (by now it will usually come back out clean). Pour a little bit of alchol in one end and let it drain through. Finally I hit it with pressurized air. It's then ready to be taped and/or greased depending upon which rifle it belongs.

Yes, it's very important to get the flame channel clean. Failure to do so will result in it becoming fouled even quicker next time out and possibly result in ignition failures.

On my White's I use HOT soapy water and drop the breech plug in the bottom of the bucket while I clean the rest of the gun.

When I am done, I pull the plug from the bottom and wipe it off.. Always looks like brand new!

T7 does clean up nice!

Thanks Guys!

I've been using CVA's anti seize stick on the threads so I know thats got to be cleaned off. Thats not been my issue...sprays right off with Nitro solvent...Hot Water should be alot cheaper in the long run :wink:

The thing that has been bothering me was looking into the breech plug from the back it appeared to me that there was a buildup of some type I'm assuming thats Fomite(sp) from the primer???
Anywho...I've soaked it in Nitro solvent for well over 4 hrs, used a fly tying magnifying lamp to look at it and have used everything I have availible to get in there and get it as clean as possible...Including a dubbing pick from the fly tying box. It comes out fairly clean but not completely clean.
I'm assuming this is normal but just want to make sure so I maximize the venturi effect of the breech plug in getting that flame from the primer where its supposed to go :wink:

Back