breech plug dirty

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what is the best way to clean a breech plug on a knight extreme witn the improved Disc Bare plug.Cleaner drain through it but I cannot see light trough it.

what is the best way to clean a breech plug on a knight extreme witn the improved Disc Bare plug.Cleaner drain through it but I cannot see light trough it.

Does the breech plug have a removable vent liner? If so remove the vent liner and drill the BP flash channel out with a 5/32" drill bit.
Also check the vent liner and make sure it is clear. You may need to soak it in a cleaner for a period of time. I would not use any type of metal pin or pick to push through the flash hole. After soaking I do often use a pointed wood toothpick for the threaded end to clear the last of any fouling.

I make a 'bit on a stick' to drill out the 'flash channel' in the breech plug
(note) there are pictures supplied - they just are not appearing at the moment

bp_diagram[.jpg

Bit on a Stick.jpg

Long-BP-Cleaner[2].jpg

hope some of this might help you.

Last edited:
I use a Wheeler screw driver set and a hex shank 5/32 drill bit for Lehigh/Knight bare primer breech plugs. If its REALLY packed with carbon you may need to use a smaller bit first.

The hex bit fits right in the driver handle and even fits in the box so its always handy.
W02QrSW.jpg

CbEv1Fm.jpg

This ProShot port brush set comes in handy too. Use it after using a bit just to shine up the channel and clean the vent liner threads. The larger of the 2 brushes does a good job cleaning up anything you cant get out with a bit. A .243/6mm or 25cal bore brush fits the primer pocket IIRC but not really needed.
r72Xh5a.jpg

Last edited:
This ProShot port brush set comes in handy too. Use it after using a bit just to shine up the channel and clean the vent liner threads. The larger of the 2 brushes does a good job cleaning up anything you cant get out with a bit. A .243/6mm or 25cal bore brush fits the primer pocket IIRC but not really needed.
r72Xh5a.jpg
This just made me think, if a well polished bore doesnt foul as badly, wouldn't really polishing up the flame channel also help decrease fouling/carbon buildup in it? Like a miniature Lee Shavers treatment for the breechplug.

This just made me think, if a well polished bore doesnt foul as badly, wouldn't really polishing up the flame channel also help decrease fouling/carbon buildup in it?

Funny you should mention this. When I drilled out my plugs for vent liners and before tapping the powder end I put a small, long bolt in a cordless drill, wrapped some 0 grade steel wool around it and spun it around in the hole for a minute in each plug. Sure was a smooth shiny hole in there. I really have very little issue in getting the carbon out of the flash channels on any of the converted plugs that I polished up. It comes out turning the bit with my fingers.

Latest posts

Back