Breech plug for new Knight Bighorn??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I did take advantage of the sales at Knight and have a Bighorn. Then my wife and I ended up moving so I doubt Ill shoot it this year. I have the 209 version. Is there an improved breech plug I should be considering or is a "dirty girl" going to be just that. Not really worried about the dirty part of it but I am going to get a fine scope, mounts, and accessories to hopefully make it a tack driver. If an alternative breech plug could help Id like to get one.

I don’t know of any new or improved breech plugs for the Knight Bighorn.

I've never seen one, being dirty is just part of being a plunger style gun. Maybe try a #11 cap setup. I just cover the scope and live with the mess.

Yep, when bench shooting Ill put a rag between, when hunting it will not matter. Always clean up when I get home anyway.

Scope Bra - here is a pattern for one...

ScopeProtectorPattern.jpg

Wshouds2.jpg

When the flash hole in the plug wears out you can have it tapped for a vent liner. It will not improve anything other than the plug itself wont wear out again. You will just replace the $6 vent when the hole gets too large again instead of paying for a new plug.

Try using primers for a 410 shotgun not as hot and maybe not as dirty.

The full plastic jackets are filthy but when i used them the MAG primers did seem to make it worse.

I have found that a 0.036"-0.038" flash hole to work best with the Red FPJs. Under 0.033" would sometimes cause the Hammer to recock and was much dirtier. This was with Federal 209As. No issues since using the larger flash hole, but still messy being a plunger gun.

Back