Breech removal of a Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the topic states, my father is wanting to remove the breech from his Lyman Great Plains Rifle so he can inspect the bore. He has not shot the gun for a few years now and upon inspection it had become rusty. Now he had an old barrel that I removed the breech from say ten yaers ago for fun and I ended up using a vise and an impact wrench however, his current barrel is still in good external condition and if the bore is saveable we do not want to ruin the finish. I thought about using a small amount of heat from a propane torch but not sure on the effects on the blueing. Any suggestions appreciated. Also on a side note would a Traditions Revolver nipple work in this gun as long as the threads were the same?

That's not something I would do. The likelyhood of badly marring the barrel is very high.

The bore is easily inspected with a light (see http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... ights.html ), or by dropping a nickle plated .38 caliber cartridge case down the bore and shining a flashlight down there.

Three ways to attack a rusty bore.

1. A patch on the cleaning jag wrapped with fine steel wool.

2. A tight patch with J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound.

3. Block the nipple, fill the bore with EVAPO-RUST rust remover, and let it sit for a few days.

Any nipple for #11 caps that has the proper thread should work just fine. But the thread for Lyman rifles is 6-.75mm , and I think Tradition's use 6-1mm.

How do you block the nipple? We have tired several times and used PB Blaster and it just runs out of the nipple. We tried using small pieces of rubber and cloaing the hammer onto it.

The easy way like Semisane said is the bolt from a hardware store. Don't try taking the breech plug out. Some are even spot welded.

I use a bore light. If you want a quick look, take a small piece of tin foil and roll that into a ball SMALLER then the bore. Drop that down the bore and then shine a flash light to the side. The tin foil will reflect a little light and allow you some vision down there. But the bore light works best.

I purchased a bore light (since they now have one in my area) at O'Reilly Auto parts. You take the clip off it and it will slide right down the bore and give you a perfect view of inside the rifle.

A lighted arrow nock also works great as a bore light.Lasts a long time if turned off when not in use.I use new ones every year and recycle the old ones for bore lights.If you are a bowhunter and don't use them you should!

Latest posts

Back