Brought home a GPR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
So this one needs a new barrel or Bored out to 54.
The bottom butt plate and forend were D&T for sling swivel, those will be removed and the holes filled.
I want to replace these sights with original buck horn sights. 
Also would like to refinish the wood.

40862188914_f19f3c1ea4_b.jpg

41532543702_3c903c3747_b.jpg

27703720258_4fe3f1e5a0_z.jpg

I would use the vernier sight on it. It will give a much better sight picture than a buckhorn sight.

The rear sight does not stay put, it moves every time you shoot.
I have adjusted the ball bearing keeper but it still moves.

Moving every time it shoots should not be much of a handicap on a gun that only shoots one time.

patocazador said:
Moving every time it shoots should not be much of a handicap on a gun that only shoots one time.
But it is a pain in the butt.
I have to readjust every shot and try to make sure I get it in the same spot.

Those are great rifles. I have one bought many years ago from Midsouth shooters supply for $250 or so as a finished rifle. The kit was around $210 and it just wasn't worth it to me to build it. The factory did a nice job on mine and its a shooter to boot.

Here is a barrel I found on Ebay. There are several listed and all are more than I paid for my rifle. This one is a little rough looking but the bore looks good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barrel-ass-Lyman-percussion-trade-rifle-54-cal-29-nice-bore-15-16/172165866676?hash=item2815e2a4b4:g:cdwAAOSwhDdXDX2j

Back from the range this morning.
Great Session.
A thought came to mind when I got there, since the ring was right at ball level when loaded 
with 60gr. of FFF, why not go to 70gr. of FF.
With the heavier load and coarser granulation, that will bring the ball higher in the barrel above that ring.
Worked like a charm  :D
Not a single blown out or torn patch and now grouping under 1.5" if the sight does not move.
Still will keep looking for a replacement barrel.
Also as someone mention here, accuracy was being hurt by my patches being to large.
I cut them smaller and accuracy and consistency is much better.

25yds. 3 Shots: 1 Hole

26717699117_f98c7ae479_z.jpg

50yds. 4 shots, each group 

26717779397_c976e6fa29_z.jpg

Little over an inch at 50 yds with a first time load? I can't do that at 25 yds. So are you going to keep it now? Let us know if you decide to sell the peep sight.

RhinoDave said:
Little over an inch at 50 yds with a first time load? I can't do that at 25 yds. So are you going to keep it now? Let us know if you decide to sell the peep sight.
Yep, going to keep the rifle.
Will most likely sell the sight as soon as I get a replacement.

You don't have any worry about accuracy!  That's very good grouping that's difficult or impossible for me to pull off.   :thumbs up:

Back