brown polarized glasses for fishing ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
went for my yearly eye exam yesterday and knew i wanted to get polarized lenses for fishing and was gonna get the grey progressive tint , but the doc said brown was the best color to see fish in the water with polarized lenses . i didn't know the lense color tint had anything to do with it . these will be used mostly for fishing . my prescription changed very little from last year so i'll keep using last years glasses for other stuff . but what are y'alls thought on the color having an effect seeing fish in water ?

I'd get polarized lenses, unless you plan to do salt most of the time.

went for my yearly eye exam yesterday and knew i wanted to get polarized lenses for fishing and was gonna get the grey progressive tint , but the doc said brown was the best color to see fish in the water with polarized lenses . i didn't know the lense color tint had anything to do with it . these will be used mostly for fishing . my prescription changed very little from last year so i'll keep using last years glasses for other stuff . but what are y'alls thought on the color having an effect seeing fish in water ?
I've done a bunch of trout & smallmouth fishing etc in my life & it took a while before getting to fish with a friend of my brothers that had brown tinted polarized glasses & he could spot fish hiding along banks & behind rocks & in deeper holes, when none of the rest of us could see them. Soooo I got me a pair of polarized sunglasses, but not brown tinted, they didn't have brown. Thats, when I learned about what CatamountRob mentioned, is absolutely correct. Getting the right tint for the bottom & water color is the key to seeing what you've been missing without them. Not matching them up correctly & you drastically reduce their effectiveness.

I've done a bunch of trout & smallmouth fishing etc in my life & it took a while before getting to fish with a friend of my brothers that had brown tinted polarized glasses & he could spot fish hiding along banks & behind rocks & in deeper holes, when none of the rest of us could see them. Soooo I got me a pair of polarized sunglasses, but not brown tinted, they didn't have brown. Thats, when I learned about what CatamountRob mentioned, is absolutely correct. Getting the right tint for the bottom & water color is the key to seeing what you've been missing without them. Not matching them up correctly & you drastically reduce their effectiveness.
I like the brown better.
Not as dark.

%90 of my fishing up here in small mountain "rivers" and a few small lakes/big ponds but mostly the clinch river . it can be crystal clear when it hasn't rained heavily and are mostly a foot to a few deep and rocky . i do like fishing the rock ledges and and of course any structure or little pool .

I like the brown better.
Not as dark.
Its not a matter of " like or not like " for me, its only about what will work the best for the color of the bottom & the water really. Where I've fished, most of the time, the brown tinted works the best, then theres places where the dark color work the best. I did " wise up " & get both eventually.

there's trout both wild and stocked in most places i go up here , so i'm gonna go with brown . i catch lots of red eye bass and some very decent small mouth up here and a 2-4 lb largemouth here and there . of course there folks that do better than me , but you know how fishermen talk .....
thanks folks :)

I've had both brown and gray. The thing I liked about the gray is that all colors were seen as neutral ( reds looked red) whereas the brown added a warm tint to everything. There are sunglass makers who offer interchangeable colors but not in RX lenses. If you're only using them for fishing the brown will probably let in little more light.

I like brown, and as light as I can get. Polarized makes all the difference. If the lenses are too dark it is hard to see into the shadows. I like brown for hunting as well, it brings out the brown and red in aoudad, mule deer, and elk. Not much help for Coue's deer.

I have both gray and now brown and I much prefer the brown polarized. The water seems clearer, the sky bluer, the clouds whiter. I have read that brown increases contrast and I’ll vouch for that! Though my shooting glasses are yellow and work well.

Last edited:
got my glasses monday and got to fish a few times . they do help seeing a little deeper/clearer into the water . it's not a huge difference but it's definitely better and i'm grateful for good insurance so i didn't have to pay much out of pocket . here's a lil smallie i got a hour or 2 ago .

20230506_143412.jpg

Back