Browning A-Bolt II Medallion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one in 284 Winchester and 308, great rifles. I put in a 'medium' Timney trigger spring, easy to do. I also have a few 'Hunter' level A-Bolts and one X-Bolt.

With the "medium" spring installed, was there a significant difference in pull? I know there will be, just wanted to know how dramatic the difference would be. Looking at a 270 and was giving some thought to changing the trigger spring. Do you know what the factory pull is (4-4.5lb) for the Medallions? Did you measure your pull after installing the Timney?

Yes, the factory A-Bolt trigger is adjustable, to a point. With my spring RCBS trigger gauge my A-Bolt triggers usually bottomed right above 4 lbs at the lowest setting. The 'Medium' Timney spring brings it down to 3 lbs or less. It also should be adjustable within a lower range too. I haven't adjusted a bunch once I put them in.

The factory A-Bolt trigger is not bad, as far as factory triggers go. That extra 1-1.5 lbs is noticeable though. If you buy the Timney spring 'kit', you get the medium and light spring. I use the lighter spring for my 'varmint' A-Bolts, or you could sell it. It's a relatively low cost & easy to do improvement.

Muskrat - Roughly, what's the pull weight when adjusting the screw (on rifle) one full turn for a lighter pull? I don't have a spring scale to measure and don't want to purchase one for this single and only use. I contacted Browning and that's the ONLY thing they suggested. I thought you might know since you had said that you had it adjusted to around 4lbs before installing the new spring. How many turns did it take to get the trigger down to that point? I wanted to try that before I buy the Timney's. If it still happens to be too stiff then I'll buy the Timney's. Thanks for your help.

I'm not at home now, so I can't check. All my A-Bolts have been Timney springed anyway. Just make sure the gun is empty then test it out yourself. All that matters is if it is good enough for you, there's is nothing that will break.

For most any hunter, just getting down near the 4 lb range is plenty good enough. I just happen to be on the picky side with triggers. I had a relative's older Savage 110 after he hard a fire, fixing it up. I ended up putting a Timney trigger in for him while I had it.

I'm buying the Timney's. I found a good price on them. I'm still interested on how many turns of the adjustment screw you made prior/after installing the Timney's.

After installing the "light" spring I didn't need to make any adjustment with the trigger screw. Man, what a difference! I stated this in another post but I'm glad to say that I took a 10 point with my new Medallion!

Yeah, with the 'light' spring one needs to ensure trigger discipline is practiced at all times. It can be more an issue with gloves on. Unless it's really cold I like gloves that offer a good amount of feel. Most often I wear the nomex 'pilots gloves', which are O.K. down near 40 or so, depending on activity level. Below that I may wear them inside a leather 'chopper', then remove the chopper for the shot.

Even my M-L triggers are a little on the lighter side. I just never go inside the trigger guard unless I am planning a shot. The last time I used a trigger pull gauge on my Knight it was near 2 lbs as I recall. If someone else shoots some of my guns I often let them dry fire a few times 1st to get a feel. I can't stand a factory gun with a 6+ lb trigger.

I just bought an A-Bolt Medallion in .300 Win Mag. at a LGS Saturday... very few rounds put thru it... Shot only two shots in it this morning to get some fired brass for measurement and setting up dies properly... wind was howling 25-30mph.. so two will do... anyway, the trigger was adjusted to the lowest point and heavier than I prefer...went to Browning Owner's forum and found references to Ernie the Gunsmith springs... he sells replacement springs for several rifles and A-Bolt is one he offers... I bought the two springs made for the A-Bolt... cost me about $19 shipped... about half what the Timney Springs go for... may want to look at them... Hopefully I will get them next week to try.

TheMoose

Latest posts

Back