Browning BPS w/rifled cant barrel...optics?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkKnight

Reaction score
Well, I purchased my first gun of the year yesterday.

I've been watching this Browning for a couple months now and they just marked it down even more. I ended up getting it for 40% off. I was pretty excited.

I've never shot a rifled barrel before and was thinking about getting a Nikon BDC reticle or maybe one of the new Bushnell DOA scopes.

I'm usually pretty much set on Leupold but I'm liking the idea of having the different aiming points on the two scopes mentioned above. Does anyone have any experience with either or similar models?

I'll try and get some pictures of the gun up soon.

Thanks,
Dave

I like my DOA 600 scope. Its been out hunting last season and took the abuse pretty good. Its mounted on my Russian rifle that I shoot with some hot hand loads and poi never has shifted.

If I didn't have a scope for my muzzy I would probable buy another for it.

Cell

If you're a Leupold fan, like me, take a look at the long range duplex reticle. It has multiple aiming dots on the vertical wire.

I'm not a big proponent of all the multiple aiming points for most hunting. I have used a few & at normal hunting ranges just hold a little 'high on fur' or what little bit it takes for the shot. I think I'd rather have a rangefinder to know distances around me for expected shots.

With a shotgun slug I'd be trying to keep things under 100 yards anyway. I do some IL hunting, mostly with the M-L. Here you are, private land, no snow usually & there's the fence line 75 yards away. Even when you have permission to retrieve from the neighbor it's much better to anchor that deer. Strange things can happen when a good sized buck is involved.

I realize there are some wide fields with nice views around. Even with that being the case you can set yourself up in corners or funnel points the deer favor, for the closer shot. I do it all the time. I'd rather see 'bullwinkle' & not get a shot, than have him run off wounded. I just met a guy last Fall that drew some blood on a big buck with a 125 yrd+ slug shot.

You could just get a Leupold 2.5-8 power scope that would give you a nice clear view right up to the last minute of legal shooting light. JMHO

I have a BPS with an Ithaca rifled, cantilever barrel, 1:34 twist. The thing LOVES Hornady SST's. The old "keep it under 100 yards " applies nicely to foster type slugs, but the new stuff is good quite a bit beyond that. I have a fixed 4x on mine, and have taken deer out to just over 150, with basically a dead on hold at that range. 3" high at 100 works out to about an inch low at 150 for me. Sure wouldn't mind more magnification. In any case, it is a gun capable of real world 150 - 200 yard shots, so scope accordingly.

lewistt, Sounds like a great set up. Natchez has a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x 35mm Camo scope for $109 on sale. Optics are great and it comes with their Ballistic Plex reticle. They have all the ballistic information that will tell you where your Hornady SST will hit on which plex at which range. It's no heavier than a straight 4x and the 7x setting will easily handle a 250yd shot on a deer size target. Check them out.

Latest posts

Back