Burris Droptine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkKnight209

Reaction score
I need to upgrade the optics on one of my Knights(LK-93 w/24" barrel). I'm typically a gold ring guy but this gun is strictly a 75-yard and under and it gets used 2 weekends a year by one of my sons. The two weeks are early October in the woods with plenty of green left on the trees.

I've read good things about the Burris droptine scopes, anyone have pros/cons to share? If could pick up a used VX1 or VX2 I would, but the prices on used are almost as much as new.

Thanks,
Dave

I used a droptine on a cva 45-70 ,the lightweight blued one 6 yes ago,,,for a cheaper priced scope it performed very well,,when I sold the rifle after around 500 plus rounds it was still solid

I've had both of those Scopes and I vividly remember the drop time had more clear glass out to the edge than the E1 did I like the e_1 one again for the money but it had a little fish eye fuzziness around the edge might have just been the particular couple that I had I've had three or four of the E ones and they are good, I put a butter C1 on a friend's Acura too last year again I like the scope for the money but it had the same fuzziness around the edge of the side picture I recommend if you have a store around you anywhere that has them to go into the store and pick them up and look across the store on full power

Looks like a pretty good scope especially for the price decrease. I know a lot of shooters don't care for BDC scopes but I love em.I have a BDC on my Redemption and 200yd shots are a piece of cake.

I'm a big fan of the ballistic plex scopes. As long as they keep it simple and not cluttered up with a million holdover marks.

Thanks for the feedback. I might just get a Droptine and a Fullfield and try them both. I was reminded by son #2 he needs a scope for his gun as well. I will report back once I get them purchased, mounted, and shot in.

Last edited:
the Fullfield and Droptine ,sounds( to me ) like good choices.Shop around for some good deals.Amazon, Fleebay, Optics planit etc.good luck and let us know how they work out for you.

I thought about my descriptive words with the fulfilled and the drop tine and to be more specific it was the fulfilleds sweet spot in the eye relief that bothered me a little bit ,if I didn't keep my eye at that exact perfect distance in relation to eye relief then the edge of the picture would get that fish-eye Halo look real quick it seem like the drop tines eye relief flexibility was more and sometimes when you're shooting a heavy recoiling muzzleloader that is important again I really like the etched reticle it's in the full field I put a lot of heavy recoil rounds through that drop tine again I didn't have any mechanical problems with either scope for the money I think they're both great

I thought about my descriptive words with the fulfilled and the drop tine and to be more specific it was the fulfilleds sweet spot in the eye relief that bothered me a little bit ,if I didn't keep my eye at that exact perfect distance in relation to eye relief then the edge of the picture would get that fish-eye Halo look real quick it seem like the drop tines eye relief flexibility was more and sometimes when you're shooting a heavy recoiling muzzleloader that is important again I really like the etched reticle it's in the full field I put a lot of heavy recoil rounds through that drop tine again I didn't have any mechanical problems with either scope for the money I think they're both great
"if I didn't keep my eye at the exact perfect distance"
And that is almost EXACTLY what I have said about BURRIS glass, regardless of models. I would say, "BURRIS scopes are very unforgiving."
And I own close to a dozen or more for my MLs and rimfires: The Long Range Recticle MOA is defunct. But still available on AMAZON and Ebay.
[EDIT] And they're on my 358, 375, and 458 SOCOMS ARs. The upper receivers are VLTOR MUR-1As with Daniel Defense MFR rails. 😎
long-range-moa-sub.png.webp

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with you the older Burris fulfilled from long time ago didn't have that issue I'm sure the quality or the Coatings in the glass somewhere save somebody a few pennies again I've had excellent recoil and service but that having to have the perfect eye relief or the whole site picture kind of go squirrely I won't have anymore of them as far as taking the recoil of a muzzleloader mine have done that,, one must also admit at this price point you get what you get

One other aspect In the Heat of the Moment it would be really easy to maybe get that eye pulled in a little too close to that scope and catch it on the eyebrow to me a scope with the unforgiving issue is a scope that I have a greater chance of busting my head or my eyebrow I have never had that pleasure but it could happen and then you're going to have that unconscious flinch which I've had that before just not from busting my head. The best economical scope for a Muzzleloader continues to be ongoing topic,, one I have my ear too.

One other aspect In the Heat of the Moment it would be really easy to maybe get that eye pulled in a little too close to that scope and catch it on the eyebrow to me a scope with the unforgiving issue is a scope that I have a greater chance of busting my head or my eyebrow I have never had that pleasure but it could happen and then you're going to have that unconscious flinch which I've had that before just not from busting my head. The best economical scope for a Muzzleloader continues to be ongoing topic,, one I have my ear too.
The BURRIS E1 Model# 200344 having 3.8 inches of eye relief ain't too shabby. My brain & eyes lock in fast on the proper eye relief for me.

I agree with your statement however I think you'll find within that 3.8 in that The Sweet Spot is very confining at least it is for me

I agree with your statement however I think you'll find within that 3.8 in that The Sweet Spot is very confining at least it is for me
I stated that in my first post, "I would say, "BURRIS scopes are very unforgiving."

But, I no longer hunt on a two way rifle range and love the glass and reticle. My ARs, minus the SOCOMS, get VORTEX or NightForce. Best to all.

All I need is a scope with cross hairs, all those scopes with BDC reticles are useless to me.Just a lot of clutter.Even with open sights I learned what the hold over would be for different yardages.I also knew what my limits were,and stayed with them.Even my bows have only 1 pin sights.I don't think I have ever had a deer stand still long enough for me to dial in any optic device or read the little lines etched on the reticle.If ya like all that stuff and it helps you -buy it.I guess it's just not for me. With most scopes, you don't know what you have until you have bought it.At the store they are in a case or a box.Ya you can look at one but, it's not mounted on YOUR gun.I like all the comments,suggestion and opinions from all the fellow forum members.I have learned a lot here.I have been able to make some informed decisions on all kinds of shooting sport related stuff-keep it coming.,,,,,This old dog is still smoking and learning new tricks!

I agree with you completely on the crosshairs. I too like a simple heavy duplex crosshair. For the type of hunting I have access to in NY and PA where anything over 100-150 yds is a long shot, I like a 2-10x scope for range work and load development. I always have my scopes set at the lowest magnification to give me a wide field of view.

Latest posts

Back