Buck vs Doe?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pocampo

Reaction score
The one thing I feel that would really help is by removing the stigma our fathers and grandfathers imbedded in us all
about harvesting does. At that time it was right thinking in order to build up the herd population, now that's not the case. As long as hunters feel it is somehow wrong to harvest does , the small bucks will continue to be harvested at an early age removing any possibility of passing genetics on. I feel this issue needs to be addressed before we start to see any real change in the way we think about this and to pass on the genetics that are being lost.
Pocampo

Pocampo,

I agree. A lot of areas like here in MD. the buck to doe ratio is so out of whack it's unbelieveable. You are lucky to see a buck in many areas, much less a good one. Some people out for a few days a year (gun-season) take what they see. Some private areas are excellent, but for the guy hunting public lands it's pretty tough hunting! IMO, the only way to help this situation is the states antler restrictions.

ABinMD said:
Pocampo,

I agree. A lot of areas like here in MD. the buck to doe ratio is so out of whack it's unbelieveable. You are lucky to see a buck in many areas, much less a good one.

Same here. Last winter during late firearm season (January) I went cruising to see if I could find deer and there were hundreds of does all packed up. I just wish my pictures would have turned out. It was a pile of deer. I remember thinking that the firearm season didn't do any good thinning them out.

Back