Buck With A Patched Round Ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shot this young buck this morning at about 10 am. Was sitting in a tree stand overlooking a trail when this 3 point buck came from behind on the left, walking fast. Gave the Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sound and the buck stopped and turned. i immediately fired; when the smoke cleared the buck was on the ground. Buck thrashed for about 30 seconds but was still breathing. Reloaded quickly, exited the stand and administered a coup de gras.

Distance: About 30 yards.

Rifle: .50 TC New Englander.
Powder: 90 grains of Grafs black powder.
Bullet: Patched round ball.
Patch lube: Frontiers.
Cap: Remington #11

nvtCzo6.jpg

Congratulations! That is a great deer. Did the roundball pass through the deer? Just wondering. I have been shooting deer, elk and other game with flinders and roundball since 75 and never lost any game. On some that were a little bit out there like around 80-100 yds I would find the roundball on the exit side just under the hide in a nice mushroom. I have a little leather bag full of mushroomed roundballsl I keep in my shooting bag to show people that poo-poo the roundball for hunting. I cast my roundballs, Minnies and conicals with sheet lead which is suppose to be close to 100% lead.
What I like is when you fire, and with all of the smoke hanging in front of you there is that very small time frame when everything I did right before I fired flashes before me kind of like a replay. It keeps the adrenaline flowing while I'm reloading until you put your hands on the game.
Again, nice deer and enjoy the meals you will get.
By the way, nice lifting rig. I got one from Sportsmans Guide a few years back and loved it. Took it with me to Kansas and shot a nice buck with my self bow and it weighed 225. The frame folded right above the part that came from the receiver hitch. I had to put an extension on mine due to having a camper shell. I put a small fold down leg on the end, under the upright that sets on the ground or a couple of wood blocks. I did a little welding and beefed it up like yours. Still going great.
Mike

Last edited:
Just my impression after using both the 30/30 and comparing it with the kills made with the .45 round ball. If anything the prb drops deer quicker than my beloved 30/30 Trapper. The 30/30 and .45 prb are easily equal within the range of a prb. The 50 and up even more so.

Shot this young buck this morning at about 10 am. Was sitting in a tree stand overlooking a trail when this 3 point buck came from behind on the left, walking fast. Gave the Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa sound and the buck stopped and turned. i immediately fired; when the smoke cleared the buck was on the ground. Buck thrashed for about 30 seconds but was still breathing. Reloaded quickly, exited the stand and administered a coup de gras.

Distance: About 30 yards.

Rifle: .50 TC New Englander.
Powder: 90 grains of Grafs black powder.
Bullet: Patched round ball.
Patch lube: Frontiers.
Cap: Remington #11

nvtCzo6.jpg

My favorite BP rifle is a TC Hawken I have had for years. I'd rather hunt with it tan my modern stuff. You had it right too....90 grains and a patched ball every time. Good out to 100 yards too. Congrats on a nice buck.

Way to go falcon. !! I don't know what deer hunting is like in your neck of the woods but a wise man once told me that any new England woodland whitetail is a trophy. With the patched round ball even more so. Some good protein for the winter. Congratulations.

I decided a few years ago to rest my go-to .45 flintlock. Since then I've used my .62 smoothbore to good effect and now would like to try a non-christened .50 I've had for a good while.

Guys, let me clarify something. A .50 cal. PRB is a deadly round well beyond 100 yards. It all depends on the shooter and constant practice. Fortunately we have our own range here in the mountains. The last elk I got in The Greenhorn Wilderness: .50 cal. - Hawkin side-lock - open steel sights - 146 yds - only one shot - Jon has pics and the entrance wound he could put his fist in. Of course the Colorado Parks and Wildlife know better and now require .54 cal. if you use a round ball for elk(that comes from an official who sits behind the desk and has NO idea about black powder muzzleloaders)!!
BTW: That's a really nice deer Falcon. Did you get that one on the lease that's closer to your home?

I also know from my experiences that a .50 prb will go completely through a deer at a bit beyond 100 yards.

Back