Buckhorn rear sight for a Thompson smoothbore?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver jack

Reaction score
Buckhorn rear sight for a Thompson smoothbore?

Hello everyone, new here and already have a question, I bought a Thompson .56 cal. smoothbore and was wondering is there anyone who makes a  traditional  buckhorn rear sight that I can replace the factory adjustable sight on this rifle? It doesn't have a milled slot for a dovetail base just a drilled and tapped hole that the factory sight attaches to the barrel. Any Ideas? Thanks-SJ

Re: Buckhorn rear sight for a Thompson smoothbore?

Track of the wolf has a hawken styled rear sight that can be made to work on a Thompson Center gun.  You just have to drill holes in the sight to fit the holes in the barrel and use the screws from the original sight.

The Hawken Shop in Washington has a great one. It's their Conversion Rear Sight. The photo sux, but the sight looks really good. It has "index marks" for drilling your own holes rather than being pre-drilled. I've used them on several rifles and always keep a couple in a drawer for future use. Haven't put it on a smooth 56 barrel, but don't see why it won't work.

BrownBear and Grimord: Thanks guys for you input I really appreciate it, will check out both sights and will report back on which one I bought and how well it worked. Its folks like you that makes these sites work!  Thanks again- SJ

It will be months before I get home, but I really do need to take some photos of their sight and keep them in my files. The question pops up now and then, and their own photo isn't doing them any favors.

Along the same line they have a "conversion kit" for the TC Hawken, letting you do away with the brass entirely. It's a steel butt plate, trigger guard and forend cap. They're as-cast and require some dedicated finish work, but well worth the effort if you don't like the brass. I've done a couple of rifles with the kits and they turn out really well. The rifles are down the road now, but I still have a couple of the kits awaiting my attention.  Should oughta photograph them too, shouldn't I!  :D

Didn't know about the conversion kits but I am very interested! I am not crazy about the brass and will most likely change over asap and sell the brass on ebay! Yeah the sight pic. is pretty lame on the Hawken shop website but I get the idea of how it works, better pics would probably sell a few more sights though! Headed over there now to check out their conversion kit, thanks Brownbear and safe travels where ever you are!  SJ

Back