Budget Black Powder Traditional or Synthetic

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNWtrekker

Reaction score
I just got back into muzzleloading this spring. I've owned a few in the past but didn't shoot much until recently. I have been shooting through my stocks of various powders I have collected. Is there a super-secret budget black powder out there. I don't mind buying bulk (5# or less). Synthetic or traditional does not matter to me as long as it goes boom. I prefer loose powder which seems to be the cheaper option anyway.

I chickened out and bought 5 more pounds of Swiss... Still had a couple pounds but couldn't resist the deal on Graf's.

I chickened out and bought 5 more pounds of Swiss... Still had a couple pounds but couldn't resist the deal on Graf's.
I like the Graf/Schuetzen better than the GOEX, but not as much as the Swiss. For the price n your on a tight Budget its a Winner every time. Its only an avg. of 40-60 fps slower in MV. Its $11 cheaper per lb.

Free shipping at grafs - including the hazmat fee - thru today if you order $150 of hazmat stuff
Well i am going have to pass right now. I am short on my savings fund by $100 samolians ! They increased the musket caps from $91 a thousand to $108. Plus i want 8 lbs of 3F Swiss. I will have my funds by Sept. I mostly likely have enough but i am scared to buy. My barrel may get done n i would be short trying to cover all of it right now.

I just got back into muzzleloading this spring. I've owned a few in the past but didn't shoot much until recently. I have been shooting through my stocks of various powders I have collected. Is there a super-secret budget black powder out there. I don't mind buying bulk (5# or less). Synthetic or traditional does not matter to me as long as it goes boom. I prefer loose powder which seems to be the cheaper option anyway.
Just make your own I haven't bought powder in years only cost about $6.00 pound to make and is cleaner and less corrosive than store bought and measure's exactly the same if your interested I can teach you.

Just make your own I haven't bought powder in years only cost about $6.00 pound to make and is cleaner and less corrosive than store bought and measure's exactly the same if your interested I can teach you.

This emphatically THIS.

Ingredients are easy enough to get on Amazon I am currently on the look out for willow branches which I am told makes the best charcoal for this purpose.

Follow all safety guidelines please and know the legalities. Bp is legal to make and use homemade bp is not legal to sell or give away.

The milling process is interesting and can be dangerous there are several methods do your research.

Thank the atf for the black powder being harder to come by. I remember buying it as a kid from a sorting goods store not anymore it’s now an explosive. Atf I love you guys but come on. Btw if you’re hiring I’d love to be a consultant when it comes to gun laws. Lol

This emphatically THIS.

Ingredients are easy enough to get on Amazon I am currently on the look out for willow branches which I am told makes the best charcoal for this purpose.

Follow all safety guidelines please and know the legalities. Bp is legal to make and use homemade bp is not legal to sell or give away.

The milling process is interesting and can be dangerous there are several methods do your research.

Thank the atf for the black powder being harder to come by. I remember buying it as a kid from a sorting goods store not anymore it’s now an explosive. Atf I love you guys but come on. Btw if you’re hiring I’d love to be a consultant when it comes to gun laws. Lol
The willow thing is more of a old wives tell than anything I believe it probably started because willow grows near water where that trappers where usually close to. I can tell you as long as it not a hard wood or some type of pine it seems to work good. I don't know what part of the country you are in but where I am In southeast Texas we have tallow trees everywhere they make some of the cleanest and the fastest powder I've seen. But like I said there are a lot of different woods you can use old vines work really good as well just make sure they are soft wood I have found some vines that are pretty hard they will work but not quite as fast. The milling process is not bad mine is all milled in a harbor freight double drum rock tumbler if you need any help let me know one thing you do need is after it's milled add 3% dextrin mill it another 30 minutes to give you good hard granules when you get through mixing it and letting it dry and don't worry about pressing it into pucks and all that anyway let me know if I can help or need any info.

This emphatically THIS.

These are my patches after 100 grain charge homemade Black powder very clean stuff

Attachments

• KIMG0020.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
This emphatically THIS.

This is finished product

This emphatically THIS.

If you decide to order you items to make the BP with check out a (SEED RANCH) they have good prices and free shipping

If you decide to order you items to make the BP with check out a (SEED RANCH) they have good prices and free shipping
Thank you sir I will check them out because I do need the dextrin. I haven’t tried to make any powder yet I do have sulfur and potassium nitrate. I will make my own charcoal. I also need either mortar and pestle to make small batches or rock Tumblr or coffee grinder something to pulverize the powder.

Thank you sir I will check them out because I do need the dextrin. I haven’t tried to make any powder yet I do have sulfur and potassium nitrate. I will make my own charcoal. I also need either mortar and pestle to make small batches or rock Tumblr or coffee grinder something to pulverize the powder.
The Dextrin is best to get on ebay cheapest there but the potassium nitrate definitely seedranch it 29.99 for 10 pounds of fine powder and free shipping you can get it in smaller sizes I just normally order 10 and store it away I got my mill from harbor freight I think they are on sale right now for $55.00

Attachments

• 67632_I.jpg
    67632_I.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
Should really just look into making your own been making mine for years cost is about $6.00 a pound to make really good shooting clean powder very easy to make.

Latest posts

Back