Bullet Choice for Black Bear

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraigwy

Reaction score
I'm rather new to in-line black powder shooting having bought a TC Omega about 18 months ago, It shoots good, but excluding shooting one doe (125 yards) last fall I haven't done any hunting with it. It hammered the doe, only went straight down TC Shock Waves.

Now the problem, I leave next week on a guided bear hunt in Idaho. This will be from a blind no more then 150 yards. I have three bullets to choose from, TC Shock wave 300 gr.. Hornady 240 gr XTP, and Hornady 250 gr SSTs.

I know there may be other/better bullets, but I live in the country and I will not be able to get to town before the hunt. Idaho has some good size blacks, plus I have a wolf tag.

Which of the three above would be the best bullet? I'll be pushing them with 3 50 grn pellets, (150 gr total).

I personally do not care for the Shockwave/SST bullets. The XPT would do ok but for my taste the 240 is a little light for Bear. It's kind of a bit late to be changing loads around with only a week to go but hopefully you have the time to do some testing before you go.

Having said that...of the Bullets you have mentioned, IF I had to pick one of those, and only those, I would go with the 300gn Shockwave. I like the heavier bullet for Bear. You don't mention the powder Type or charge you used with the Shockwave on the Deer. I personally would use no less than 100 grains of loose Powder with the shockwave on Bear and would most likely use a bit more if it is accurate in your gun. It should have enough punch to break down the shoulder if you have to which is one reason I like the heavier bullets

I know you live in the country But, IF you have a place you get these I would run there and see if they had a box of 300gn XTPs, but I prefer the 300gn Speer Deep Curl.

Good Luck on the hunt.

I would imagine that the shockwaves will work just fine. I’m a big fan of the barnes bullets, even the lighter 250 MZ expander fully penetrated a large cow moose a couple years ago running at 1800fps. I’m currently shooting the 300 gr version @ 2110fps using blackhorn 209.

Even big black bears aren’t really that hard to penetrate. They have fairly thin hides, and aside from the shoulder bones they aren’t that heavily boned either. If your worried about the bullets integrity try to hit behind the shoulder in the “pocket” that archery shooters try for. Best case aim for the off side shoulder, its never a bad idea to take out a wheel if you get a chance.

I'm taking the advice offered and going with the 300 gr SW.

Hunt hadn't started yet, I leave Friday for the hunt starting Sunday the 1st.

Thanks for all the help.

K

Best of luck on the bear hunt!! They sure are good to eat. And don't forget your camera. :yeah:

Latest posts

Back