Bear Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only shot the 300 gr Partition on paper. I used the 260 gr for one season but didn't get a shot. Been using primarily Barnes 250 gr and 290 gr T-EZs since 2011. Sometimes the 195 gr Barnes Expander.

Nice bull Bushfire! My experience with 250 gr monos is that they will expand beautifully but not exit. For that reason, a 300 gr bullet is my minimum preferred weight for anything larger than deer. I’m betting you recovered the MonoFlex from your buffalo - no exit? Dead is dead, but I definitely want two holes if I’ve got to go into the brush tracking a bear.
Agree on all accounts, My experience with Bears is they die quicker with an arrow. Adrenalin propels them after a deadly bullet hit, Mine bounced back up after knocking him to the ground. I would wait some before going into the brush and still be careful, they don't leave much sign and don't leave much blood. Best of luck .

Last edited:
Did some testing today with the 300 gr Nosler Partitions. I’m very impressed by them. Thanks @jsteurrys!

With 120 grV BH209, I measured the muzzle velocity at 2174 fps from a TC Omega X7.

25 yard water jug bullet catch: bullet was caught in the 6th water jug for ~36” of penetration. First 3 jugs showed massive damage and were thrown into the air. The front of the bullet and two petals came off. By the looks of the exit hole in the first jug, this fragmentation started in the first 6”. Nose lead and one petal were found in the third jug. (This is actually pretty similar to the results in the 260 gr partition test I conducted.)

Recovered base, nose lead and one petal weighed 281.4 gr.

403137DD-9AC8-4DB6-9BFD-714845AB44D6.jpeg
247FE565-0666-4D1E-A6E0-DD0C89AD66A8.jpeg

Back