Bullet drop

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd123

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me or direct me to ballistics tables? I want to know how far my bullet will drop at 150 and 200 yards. Shooting both 250 grain Hornady monoflex and Barnes TMZ 250 grain bullet. 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 out my accura v2 with 27 inch barrel. Have it sighted in dead on at 100 yards. Thank you.

cant tell you but not that much, 200 yard shots should be easy. my son got a nice buck at 216 yards last year. the bullet was a 300 grain .451 diam bullet in a mmp sabot. the powder was 130 grains of 209 powder. it hit 3 inches below point of aim at 216 yards. you might want to have you rifle sighted in at 2 to 3 inches high at 100 yards. another thing if your from the woods in minn. do you ever shoot at 200 yards? you will do well.

I'd expect at least 11 to 13 inches of drop with the 250gr TMZ at 200 yards.

Just got back from the range. Barnes TEZ 250 grain and 100 grains volume 209 Blackhorn and Winchester primer. 9, 11, 9.5 inches low for 3 shots

The Barnes tmz was tough to load when I shot at 100. Moved back to 200 and shot the tez

Yep, you will find that the TEZ loads MUCH easier. How'd she group at 200?

Not bad. It was pretty windy and by the time I moved back to 200 I was pretty cold and not as focused as I should be. Main goal was to find average drop and now will test the 200 dot on my luepold 3x9 ultimate slam next time out and also try the pt gold and Hornady monoflex at 200. Will load half at 100 grain of 209 and half 110 grains.

Hornady has a dandy ballistics calculator.  I've used it on several rifles and it gets pretty close!  It's no perfect sub for acutal range time and targets, but it gets you close really quick.  I calculate where it SHOULD be at 50 yards and the adjust the scope to match that.  I've checked the results at 100 yards and it is close enough for me.  I never shoot 200 yards as I don't have a range for it.  

You will need the BC of your bullet, velocity, and how high above the bore centerline your scope is.  You can poke around on the web and find the BC and likey even a close estimate of the veloctiy from some else who has chronoed the weight bullet and charge.

To find a he height of the scope do you measure from top of barrel to center of scope and then add 1/4 inch for .50 caliber?

You don't have to be "exact".  But the closer you get the better.

If you do as you describe, you have left out the thickness of the barrel wall.  You need:
      Center of scope to top of barrel + Thickness of barrel wall + 1/4"

Note that if your measuring at the scope tube (which I would) and you have a tapered barrel then using the above you're going to be off since the barrel wall thickness is different at the muzzle end of the barrel and where your scope is mounted.  The more the taper, the more you're off.

You're interested in the centerline of the barrel to the centerline of the scope.  Lay that deer slayer on the bench.  Use a dial caliper (tape measure or nice ruler if you don't have one).  At the reticle adjustments, measure from the center of the scope tube to the center of the barrel.  The stock on most rifles if very close to the centerline of the barrel, so eyeball it and you'll be close. 

I hope that makes sense. 

The proof is at the range.  Get all your info and put it in the Hornady ballistics calculator.  Figure out where you want the bullet to zero, how high and 100, etc. and get all you info from the calculator.  See where the bullet should be at 50 yards and go shoot at 50 yards. Adjust your scope to where the bullet SHOULD theoretically be 50 yards.  Now your rifle is set up to agree with what the calculator says.  Then shoot at 100 yards, and your bullet should be where the calculator says it will be.  If it is, then you bullet should hit at 200 yards just about where the calculator says.  If the 100 yard shot is way off, then either your BC is wrong, your veloicty is wrong, or your scope height measurement is wrong and you're going to be off at 200 yards.  

Ultimatley you need a 50, 100, 150, and 200 yard range to shoot at.  But I don't have access to that so I do the above.  Works pretty good out to 125 yards, which is my longest shot yet.

Hornady has an app for your phone if you roll that way.

References, charts are pretty much guess work based on mathematical equations, Use your scope and rifle work your book, charts and numbers as well as your choice of powder and charge size, the math is fine it is not infallible Things that contribute your area, time of shoot weather,humidity all plays I know I have 6 inch drop at 150 yards with my load and bullet choice where as data says to "expect a 4-5 inch". I have found most "Load Data" I have run into no better than today`s horrible CGI movies. Computer Generated Load data unfortunate some Corporate`s use it spoils it for all.

Latest posts

Back