Bullet groupings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcop

Reaction score
I have found a combination that my KRB really likes. 85gr Triple 7 3ffg, green Knight Sabot, .430 Hornady XTP 240gr. I am extremely happy with this combo. One ragged hole at 100 yards. There was one flyer, (shooter error) one inch low and 1/2 inch right. Then tried same combination except 300 gr bullet. It hit two inches lower which I expected, but it was also 2 inches right. Very tight group, just like the one with the 240's but low right. Can someone explain the right shift. I understand the drop, but why did it all shift right?

Can someone explain the right shift. I understand the drop, but why did it all shift right?

It's just the fact that it's a different load. Changing bullet weight changes everything...

Like Chuck said it's a diffrent bullet. The shifting,(or drifting) to the right is a result of slower rotation of the bullet (it does this also in C/F guns). If you are going to use heavier (bigger ) bullets,just adjust the windage,and elevation and you will be fine. Ron

Why bullets chance POI and drift? I have seen it on the range, on the same day, same rifle, same everything, just by changing bullets. I was shooting one bullet, a 300 grain .44 caliber XTP and it was dead center bull. I changed over to a 250 grain Shockwave and they hit an inch high and an inch to the left. I could understand the high because of less weight, but why left? Change anything, and you might change the way the bullet fies.

In traditional rifles, for instance, change the patch thickness, change the patch material, even the lube, and it can also change the POI of that ball.

I will have to try that load you mentioned in my Knight Disc. That sounds like a good load. Thanks of the heads up. Right now I am shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 250 grain Shockwave with real good results.

I think bullets "crawl" - with rotational speed and direction determining how much a particular bullet "crawls" as it goes downrange.

Other considerations might be either the scope's vertical crosshair is slightly off from perpendicular to the bore... or your positioning of the rifle is canted... or both.

Latest posts

Back