Bullet Inflation.. crazy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Feb 28 I bought a box of 100 45 cal, .452 245 grain Spitzer Seconds from Midway USA for $51.79. I thought that price was a bit high but they work well in one of my rifles and was getting low on them. Today's email from Midway comes in and they are now $73.99 for a box of 100. Holy crap, that's a $22.20/43% price increase in 25 days. I did not buy them.
John

I am happy now that I am a packrat. I have plenty of powder in both BH209 and T7, plenty of 209s, and for bullets I have enough in .44 cal to last a long time and if I run out of those, I have plenty of .45. For the .45 rifles I have plenty of a couple different .40 cal bullets. 99% of all my shots are well within 50 yards, most not over 20 yards, so I could just about shoot some stainless nuts in sabots to kill deer. I have enough of everything to adapt to things. I don't horde, I just don't get rid of things....just in case something like this comes along.

Inflation is nuts! We have the constant reminder at the gas pump and grocery store but labor shortages and supply chain issues have driven up prices on just about everything. I'm restoring a fiberglass boat and went to buy supplies yesterday. It cost me $650 for what I would've spent about $400 on less than a year ago.

Copper always skyrockets during inflations. I have been buying up bullets for reloading, that i can't cast, for a couple years now. Super glad i did now.

Fool me once........... I supplied up, not hoarding but, primers and other supplies prior to covid. Glad I did.

I have 1,000 Federal 209A primers along with 1,000 CCI209M primers. I'll never use those primers as I no longer shoot 209 ignitions. However....... I save them for TRADES. I might need something down the road.....

I need to stock up on lead before that cost goes crazy

I don't cast much. Last time i bought lead was from Buffalo Arms last summer. Just checked and its 2.89 for 1:40 lead. I still have about 70lbs of misc lead that came from towed drone targets and other scrap. Only have a few 50 cal REAL molds, round ball mould and one Idaho Lewis mould from Accurate I have yet to use. They are my just in case stash.

Primers at my legs went from 7.49 (still high but reasonable) to 12.49 which is insane.

So in school a long while ago they taught me that I should invest to combat the average inflation rate of 3% annually.

Let me ask you guys... Have you been feeling a 3% hike in prices? Lol

That cheap rip it tribute energy drink that was .99 cents now at 1.25. That a 25 % increase. Math is hard and the people seemingly have no choice but to pay so it continues.

Call it corporate greed or call it supply and demand or something else but the bottom line is they charge what they want and we pay because we have to live with little option to do otherwise.

Fool me once........... I supplied up, not hoarding but, primers and other supplies prior to covid. Glad I did.

I have 1,000 Federal 209A primers along with 1,000 CCI209M primers. I'll never use those primers as I no longer shoot 209 ignitions. However....... I save them for TRADES. I might need something down the road.....
I cant get primers for the life of me. Kinda bummed out about it too. Let me know if you're ever interested in selling any of those I'll definitely buy some from you..

99% of all my shots are well within 50 yards, most not over 20 yards, so I could just about shoot some stainless nuts in sabots to kill deer
That describes my hog hunting too, with some shots at 20 feet or less. I've been lathe turning 12 gauge slugs and round balls from mild steel and scrap rebar for 30 years.

Non-lead shotcups with or without extra "paper patching" make decent sabots. High speed smokeless steel shot load data provides a safety factor when used with single solid projectiles - no side thrust friction. Plus, fired steel slugs recovered from test medium can often be reused.

Most are made for target penetration testing but are totally adequate for hunting. Once you get up to .675" diameter and larger, projectile expansion isn't needed IMO, especially when they can rake an animal from stem to stern.

I continue to shoot 44 caliber pistol bullets in my 50 caliber Muzzleloaders with sabots. This caliber is plenty accurate for me and I have killed numerous deer with that particular caliber bullet. Last month I found a seller selling off a collection of 44 caliber pistol bullets from an estate. I bought the entire lot (about 850 projectiles) from 200 grain up to 300 grain and it will last me a long time. I paid approximately 40% of what these bullets are selling for new today. Prices are just getting stupid on everything. I also recently purchased 300 of the old “break-a-way” TC sabots for 5.00 at a swap meet. While not the “most accurate” they are clearly “good enough” to hunt with.

I bought the Cheddites when Brownells had them recently. Would prefer the Feds but happy I got some at all!. Think the Cheds were a dollar cheaper so not a bad price in today's environment.

Hit it lucky Brownells had Fed 209-A primers I bought 1000 But before that panic set in so I bought several different plugs for different rifles that use LR,LRM, and LP primers which I have more than I will ever shoot All set if my health would just improve just found out by cat scan I have a bulging disc that is causing severe pain D^%$ this old age

Latest posts

Back