Bullet question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John G

Reaction score
Do I want a bullet to pass through my game or to mushroom and deliver more shock to the animal ?

I ask because I recently shot a hog. I took 2 shots to bring down. Both passed through the chest cavity. I used an A&H model 420. Bullets were
Powerbelt 295gr & used 100gr of Triple 7 pellts.

John G said:
Do I want a bullet to pass through my game or to mushroom and deliver more shock to the animal ?

That is the ultimate question. You'll get a bunch of contradictory answers.

I like pass throughs. Preferably with bullet expansion although a .452 bullet is a big hole going in and doesn't really need much expansion. Poke two holes and you'll get a nice blood trail.

I vote for pass throughs also. I don't go for the hit 'em high in the shoulder shot. I feel it wastes too much meat. I try to shoot a couple inches behind the shoulder and middle of the rib cage so I don't get the "drop them in their tracks" results that a lot of guys write about. Sometimes it means they might run off 100 yards or so from the point of impact so its nice to have that good blood trail.

I was taught to shoot my deer thru the ribs. You don't find too many slugs when you've got a broadside or mostly broadside shot, even with patched roundballs. Hit 'em a little too high though and you won't have much of a blood trail even with a pass thru.

Put it where it is supposed to be and it really doesn't matter.. Take a LESS than ideal shot and complete penetration MAY be of benefit. Here's what happened with what I shot during 2005:

Loshbough hog-complete penetration, hog went about 30-40yds..shot it again to finish it off-may not have been necessary.

Kentucky 11 pt- bullet didn't pass thru, deer dropped in its tracks

Kentucky doe- pass thru, deer dropped in its tracks

Krisels doe- pass thru, deer dropped in is tracks

Texas 8pt- bullet didn't pass thru, deer went about 5 yds..

Texas auodad- bullet didn't pass thru, went about 50-70yds

Alabama 9pt- pass thru, deer went about 80yds.

Conclusions? Hit 'em where you're supposed to with a bullet of adequate construction, it doesn't matter...

I agree with Chuck, Put a well made bullet where it is supposed to go and you will get the desired results. A dead deer.

Latest posts

Back