Muzzloader Doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie Huntsman

Reaction score
I had already taken one deer with a bow but I hunted pretty hard the 7 days I get to hunt during the regular muzzleloader season. I chose to use my New England Arms Huntsman as I had drawn out for a doe hunt the week immediately following muzzleloader season and planned to use my TC New Englander then. I hunted almost every day after I got off work (I get off around 2 pm) and both Saturdays, going to various locations in the WMA that my 2 acres borders. No deer. On the last Saturday afternoon I decided to go to a stand I had put up for quick hunts a 5 minute walk from my house. I wasn't there 20 minutes when this young doe stepped out of the thicket. 50 yard shot through the heart. She didn't run 20 yards and went down. Load was 95 grains of 777 with a 295 grain Powerbelt.

Got a question for you guys... I've taken many, many deer with this load in this gun (It shoots this load really well) but hardly ever get a pass through. What loads to you use and do you often get a pass through shot that leaves a decent blood trail?
Muzzleloader Doe.jpg

Congrats on the doe.
Southeast Oklahoma here, only averaging 1 or 2 deer per sit. No big bucks but did see a big bodied 8 pointer.
Can't speak to those bullets.

Congrats!

PB's are very soft and pancake quickly. I use Barnes all copper TEZ's and almost always get a pass-thru. Blood trails range from so-so to excellent depending on shot placement.
Same thing I’ve seen. Stopped using them after 2 deer. I did get them. Never a pass through and always looked like u describe.

I've had pass throughs with the 245 aero tips PB but it was 50/50
used 200gr shockwaves this year in a 45cal blue harvester sabot, 2 pass throughs and ungodly amounts of blood after the 2nd one ran, 1st was DRT.

Well-done sir. Good eating there.

I use Barnes 225 grain, .429 XPBs in my Optima pistol and 250 grain, .451 XPBs in the Accura. The pistol gets 63 weighed grains of BH209 and the Accura gets 77 weighed grains of Bh209. 100% pass-thrus with the Accura and about 90% pass-thrus with the Optima pistol. In my Woodman Patriot shooting smokeless and 195 grain, .40 Barnes Expanders I get 100% pass-thrus.

Congrats!!! :lewis:
I hunt in NW Oklahoma, and deer movement has been way “off” this season.
I don’t get to hunt in state during regular rifle season but that’s what I’m hearing from my friends who do. I’m in SE OK and there’s plenty of deer according to the sign but they haven’t been moving much during the day. I’m back home now and the extended part of the rifle season (mostly private land, which I have no access to) has been going on. I think there is a couple of days left. We just had an all day rain. Tomorrow morning ought to be good for the guys who get to hunt.

I don’t get to hunt in state during regular rifle season but that’s what I’m hearing from my friends who do. I’m in SE OK and there’s plenty of deer according to the sign but they haven’t been moving much during the day. I’m back home now and the extended part of the rifle season (mostly private land, which I have no access to) has been going on. I think there is a couple of days left. We just had an all day rain. Tomorrow morning ought to be good for the guys who get to hunt.
Judging by what had started with the snow melt before I left on Tuesday and what current game camera pictures show, my place is a muddy mess, but yes, deer movement has been pretty good this morning.

Congrats on your doe, lots of talk on hear regarding PBs Ive never used them .For years now I use Speer Gold Dots ,Deep Curls 300 gr over 105 gr V BH209. I cant remember not getting a pass through, dont remember ever recovering any rounds.

Congratulations! I'm shooting 80grn blackhorn by volume with hornady xtp 240s and I get complete pass through!

Latest posts

Back