Bullet Size

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosehunt2

Reaction score
What type and grain size of bullets do you guy's shoot for whitetail? I am kind of taking a poll here just to see what everybody shoots. TIA

goosehunt,

I'm using a PRbullet all lead 50/45 360gr KeithNose H.P. I use this bullet because it shoots well, is easy to load and puts a whoopin' on 'em. The load isn't flat shooting but that's of no consequence where I hunt (the farthest I've shot a whitetail there is 40yds).

Whitesmoke

I shoot an expensive bullet right now for whitetail. I shoot a 260 grain Nosler Partition, probably an over kill but it really does the job... When I can not afford them any longer I will probably move to a Speer Gold Dot, either a 250 grain or the 300 grain - I shot both ofthese bulets today at paper and have really been impressedwith them... i call them a poor mans Nosler... They are bonded and will only peel open so far so they retain the bulk of their weight....

A lot of people have moved to the 10 mm 200 grain Shockwave/SST... I have shot a lot of 200 grain Hornady XTP's - they are screamers and I no they will work but Idaho has a minimum of .428 for ML's during ML season.

sabotloader,

Even though Idaho is still in the dark ages when it comes to their ML regs; you guys have some great hunting up there. I use to live in the Pandhandle and enjoyed some great waterfowling around Sand Point and Bonners Ferry.

Whitesmoke

I use the precision sabot extreme HD 330 grain bullet. It is a hard hitting bullet with 110 grains of BM3.

Paul

whitesmoke

I live in the northern portion of the state, Moscow, and we really do have some good hunting.... even though the fish & game is trying very hard to screw it up.....

I used a 500 grain conical bullet over 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f for a while this year. Then I went to a different rifle with 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and a 300 grains Hornady HP in a harvester sabot. Then I switched and went to 80 grains of Swiss 2f and a 300 grain .430 Hornady XTP in a GREEN Harveter crushed rib sabots. And finally scored with 90 grains of Goex 2f and a 224 grain roundball out of a flintlock...

With a muzzleloader...every bullet I've EVER used to shoot a whitetail have been between 200(0.40cal) and 275grs(0.45cal)...mostly 240-260gr.

Barnes 290 gr TMZ. Might be overkill but it sure does the job.

Back