Postal Match Start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hunter class. Score 48. It has been quite a while since I shot the Gibbs M/L. so Smokey's postal match was a good excuse to dust it off. The wind was stupid. Naturally, I picked the wrong wind condition to shoot in so it took me 2 hours to shoot 4 sighters and then my 5 for score. The next time out I'll shoot the Gibbs using my 530 grain Postell greasers. X
The Gibbs is my fav sidelock by far. I’m sorry that I didn’t buy one when they were 1000.00 - 1200.00. Now they are double that price, when you can find one.
We will have an additional category to the postal match very soon. We are starting an iron sights only match with a match for modern Western inlines/smokeless & one for traditional ML’s with real BP or subs only.
There will be no bullet or sabot restrictions, any type of open iron sights are permitted.
We are thinking 50 & 100yd matches, I’m pushing for the 50yd to be standing, freehand & the 100yd from the same front rest/rear bag rules as the other matches. Scoring will be the same. We may make a target change, not settled as of yet.
I hope that you & your Gibbs will participate in it.

The Gibbs is my fav sidelock by far. I’m sorry that I didn’t buy one when they were 1000.00 - 1200.00. Now they are double that price, when you can find one.
We will have an additional category to the postal match very soon. We are starting an iron sights only match with a match for modern Western inlines/smokeless & one for traditional ML’s with real BP or subs only.
There will be no bullet or sabot restrictions, any type of open iron sights are permitted.
We are thinking 50 & 100yd matches, I’m pushing for the 50yd to be standing, freehand & the 100yd from the same front rest/rear bag rules as the other matches. Scoring will be the same. We may make a target change, not settled as of yet.
I hope that you & your Gibbs will participate in it.
Open iron sights or any iron sight? Open sights are the ones that come attached to your barrel from the factory. Any iron sight would include those and also aperture [peep] sights. Just want to clarify. Sounds like fun. Count me in! X

Open iron sights or any iron sight? Open sights are the ones that come attached to your barrel from the factory. Any iron sight would include those and also aperture [peep] sights. Just want to clarify. Sounds like fun. Count me in! X
Sorry if I wasn't clear or didn't use the proper terminology.
Factory iron sights & any type of open sights, ie; peep, aperture, vernier, etc all are acceptable. Just NO OPTICS
Perhaps, after this gets started, we can add a 200yd match to this for guys like you that have the gun & the skillset to compete in it.
I will be working with my bench rest sidelock to do just that.
Glad to hear that you are going to participate in it.
Anonymouscowherd & I hope that this added category will open the door to encourage more ppl to shoot their ML's & have some fun in these postal matches.
Things seem to be off to a bit of a slow start, sadly. I hope that the interest & participation picks up soon.
This is for everyone's benefit.

Sorry if I wasn't clear or didn't use the proper terminology.
Factory iron sights & any type of open sights, ie; peep, aperture, vernier, etc all are acceptable. Just NO OPTICS
Perhaps, after this gets started, we can add a 200yd match to this for guys like you that have the gun & the skillset to compete in it.
I will be working with my bench rest sidelock to do just that.
Glad to hear that you are going to participate in it.
Anonymouscowherd & I hope that this added category will open the door to encourage more ppl to shoot their ML's & have some fun in these postal matches.
Things seem to be off to a bit of a slow start, sadly. I hope that the interest & participation picks up soon.
This is for everyone's benefit.
This time of year(spring) is always slow here. People able to get outside more, mow, camp, fish, fix up the house, yard work, farm, garden, etc. Not that those are good excuses to set down the MLs tho. Im guilty as much as anyone else.

This time of year(spring) is always slow here. People able to get outside more, mow, camp, fish, fix up the house, yard work, farm, garden, etc. Not that those are good excuses to set down the MLs tho. Im guilty as much as anyone else.
Well hopefully this will encourage you to take some range time with your fav traditional ML & shoot some targets to post.
Brother, I have a shooting bench & 400+yd range in my backyard, & I do not shoot enough.

Well hopefully this will encourage you to take some range time with your fav traditional ML & shoot some targets to post.
Brother, I have a shooting bench & 400+yd range in my backyard, & I do not shoot enough.
My life is not my own, too much rain & winds & chores. Yeah its raining how lovely ! I will get out there & miss my target again this coming week

My life is not my own, too much rain & winds & chores. Yeah its raining how lovely ! I will get out there & miss my target again this coming week
Well look at it on the bright side, if you keep missing the target completely, you’ll never have to buy another one. The savings will accumulate according to how much you shoot.

Latest posts

Back