bullet sizing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlink

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I got my smokeless back from McGowen this past week, after opening up my stock and getting that all together I have now started tinkering with the swinglok sizing die. I have watched a few video about setting up and testing the bullets. Would it be best practice to foul the barrel with a couple primers before going to far into this? What I have found with my barrel so far is that the bullet will be tight to get started then there is a loose spot in the finale 2/3 inches of the barrel then does get tighter as the bullet goes down the barrel. I have sized a couple fury bullets that load with "2 finger" pressure. Is it common for the bullet to be difficult to start? I did squeeze 1 bullet down to small and it dropped right to the breech. Just trying to shorten my learning curve here. TIA

I’m following along here as I want to eventually get into bullet to bore. Was really disappointed when Pacnor didn’t send back the barrel drop I was going to use to size with - but maybe that wouldn’t of worked anyway?

I’m following along here as I want to eventually get into bullet to bore. Was really disappointed when Pacnor didn’t send back the barrel drop I was going to use to size with - but maybe that wouldn’t of worked anyway?
You only need that if you want to full form 0.458 bullets. You can have mine if you want one assuming yours is a 1:22 twist.

I would foul with 2 or 3 rounds fired. Dry nylon brush. Size for 2 finger push on start and one hand steady low resistance push with ramrod down barrel with breech plug removed for a push thru. No lube on wad or on bullet should be used. All bullets should be checked prior to use for any spring back that may have occurred in the long interval between sizing and shooting.

I do things differently. Imagine that ;)

I lube each bullet on my RCBS case lube pad. Once the bullets are sized, they're cleaned of lubricant with 91% alcohol. I size to a clean barrel for both SML and if shooting BH.
Fury bullets just don't spring back, so they're sized to fit with a single pass through the sizer.
Other bullets on the other hand, do spring back. My cure for that is to set the die to the force I prefer with 5 passes through the die. Yeah I know, seems like work but, it works for me. No spring back on XLD's.
I don't size to finger pushes, but rather size to an actual loading force using a Wagner force gauge. My preferred force for both SML and BH in a clean barrel is 8-9#. In a fouled barrel that brings the forces up to 18-20#.
Higher loading forces do nothing when shooting SML. However, if shooting BH it does matter. Higher loading forces increase velocity.

What I have found with my barrel so far is that the bullet will be tight to get started then there is a loose spot in the finale 2/3 inches of the barrel then does get tighter as the bullet goes down the barrel.
The front half of my .45 McGowen was a hair tighter than the back half - which was noticeable with a sized bullet. I ended up lapping most of it out with JB. Now it’s better and mirror smooth.

You only need that if you want to full form 0.458 bullets. You can have mine if you want one assuming yours is a 1:22 twist.
Yes right on it’s a 22 twist. I’ll send a pm - Barnes 300 grain originals & some cast bullets - I might pickup some 350 Hornady hollow points

A lot of barrels are left “ choked” at the muzzle from the barrel maker. Due to less lapping in the muzzle area. And not extending the lap stroke past the muzzle or just short of. Maybe a fairly new employee doing the lapping?
I have three McGowen barreled sml’s .
I use pin gauges.
Two barrels came very uniform throughout the tubes. Load easy and pleasingly very accurate.
The third . 26” bbl. Tight at the muzzle then easy once past.
1/3 down very tight. Past the tight spot a bit easier again. Due to the squeeze?
PIA for a new barrel.
Pulled the breech plug and started pin gauging front to back and vice versa.
Definitely “pinched “ in multiple places.
Ended up using “Lee Shavers” method. Added JB.
( Ty IL for turning me onto this method )
Ouila’ .
Smooth as a baby’s butt and pin gauge uniform.
Loads and shoots like the other two now.

Forgot to update this thread, my first post as before I had fired the gun. For lack of a better term I think there was a slight burr or something at the crown of the barrel. After my first range session the bullets started loading easier with no tight spot at the end of the barrel. Bullets seat easily with a fouled barrel. The 250gr Furys will put 3 touching at 100 yards with 57grs of n120.

Back