Bullet starter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, bobkat131-

Could it be a “technique” issue?

Once the bullet gets lined up, a lot of us push down with an open palm, and fingers extended.

If you curl your fingers around the short starter ball or knob… I can see rapping your knuckles from time to time.

The CVA starter that JeffB posted might help, but a person could still get their fingers pinched, with poor technique. CVA® Knuckle Saver™ Bullet Starter

Take a look at this video from about 1:00 to 1:10, to see what I mean about using an open palm:

I don’t care for his technique on the ramrod, but that’s for a different discussion. I like to “choke up” on the ramrod, until I get the projectile farther down the barrel.

”Let’s get loaded, then we can have a blast!” 🤠
(Really… I’m not twelve years old, anymore! 🙄)

Last edited:
Hi, bobkat131-

Could it be a “technique” issue?

Once the bullet gets lined up, a lot of us push down with an open palm, and fingers extended.

If you curl your fingers around the short starter ball or knob… I can see rapping your knuckles from time to time.

The CVA starter that JeffB posted might help, but a person could still get their fingers pinched, with poor technique. CVA® Knuckle Saver™ Bullet Starter

Take a look at this video from about 1:00 to 1:10, to see what I mean about using an open palm:

I don’t care for his technique on the ramrod, but that’s for a different discussion. I like to “choke up” on the ramrod, until I get the projectile farther down the barrel.

”Let’s get loaded, then we can have a blast!” 🤠
(Really… I’m not twelve years old, anymore! 🙄)

i did change the end on mine to play nice with the TEZs
20221006_113648.jpg

This thing does everything possible to start a bullet, not DIY but dirt cheap. I have 2-3 of them, fits in my jacket pocket.

Attachments

• 1E06597B-F5A0-4926-B8DC-21F706343619.png
    1E06597B-F5A0-4926-B8DC-21F706343619.png
    825.7 KB · Views: 0
bobkat131 do you already have a bullet starter that you're having issues with ?

i'm new to muzzleloading but three things that i see consistently preached here is technique and consistency . consistency when loading is very important to have a chance at good accuracy . technique can aid in that consistency . but FWICT some folks do things a little differently than others but still achieving the same goal .

the 3rd thing i see preached her A LOT is marking our loading rod where it sits in a empty barrel to be sure we don't double load the gun destroying it and possible maiming or killing ourselves . it happens to even very experienced ML shooters so it's very important !

here's a few videos that may be helpful if you go the DIY route .
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DIY+muzzleloader+bullet+starter

Last edited:
It's not cheap but the SpinJag bullet starter will solve the op's problem. Or you could still go the DIY route and slide a short wooden or plastic sleeve bigger than the bore of your barrel over the starter rod to keep your knuckles from hitting the barrel.

Maybe the op has Andre the Giant size hands with bratwurst size fingers?

Back