Bushnell 3200 on T/C Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to ML hunting in general. I've got a T/C Omega that I'm looking to scope, and I'm trying to decide between the Bushnell 3200 1.4-4.5x32 with Firefly reticle and the 2-7x32 with Multi-X reticle. Any opinions? How about the Firefly? I like the flexibility of the 2-7 (although I know some would argue that anything above 5x on an ML is overkill), but I'm intrigued by the Firefly concept.

BTW I love the forum! Also been reading a lot of Chuck Hawks' site and those guys do an outstanding job :D . Been thoroughly enjoying his and Randy Wakeman's articles. Thanks!

Scope power should be determined by how you plan on using the gun. If you are hunting in brush or heavy cover where shots will have to be quick and yardages are close use the lowest power scope that you can. If you are going to be setting edges of open fields where shots can be much longer you will want a higher power scope. Higher power also works very well when sighting in and doing load work.

DC

fozzy said:
I like the flexibility of the 2-7 (although I know some would argue that anything above 5x on an ML is overkill

i don't think anybody is going to argue with you on this point. i use 3-9's just for the fact the 9x is nice for range work. i am also looking for a new scope, been doing alot of research online and i have yet to find any real negatives on the bushnell 3200

oh and welcome to the forum, you'll love it here!

Thanks so far for the great advice! I probably should have mentioned I do a little hunting in both kinds of terrain - some close, partially wooded (50 yds or less) and some along field edges. Until I get much more range time with the ML I won't be attempting anything over 100 yds. I agree about the 9x for sighting, etc. - hadn't thought of that. In general would anyone argue that the optical quality is compromised in going from the 3200 2-7x to the 3-9x?

My rifle wears a 3200 in 4 - 12. You're right that you don't need that kind of magnification in a muzzle loader but it is nice at the range. 4 - 5 is more than enough for hunting.

I shoot a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm with firefly on a White Model 97. It is a great scope. My only compaint is the cross hairs with the firefly are a little thick. But once you get used to them there is no problem. Also the firefly works really slick for low light. And the scope does an excellent job for light gathering.

In the woods where my shots are close I leave it on 2x. Or when walking I leave it on 2x. When I get near open area, I usually crank it up to 7x. I also use the 7x on the range and it really does work well. I personally like a 2-7x32mm scope on a muzzleloader. I don't usually take snap shots, and the 32mm gathers light really well. Also they generally have better eye relief being a shotgun scope as well. So they work out real well for me.

I've owned 2 of the fireflys and I sold them because I didn't like the thick reticle. I much prefer the standard Multi-X. I'd get a 3-9X40. I love them.

3 x 10 -40 mm BUSHNELL ELITE 3200 with rainguard ..mounted very low on my ENCORE ...better over powered u can always crank it down ..in thick bush it is on 4x and in the field it is on 10 x ....

Thanks again for all of your help! Maybe I should have asked for general scope recommendations, because I'm still wavering between the Elite and a Leupold shotgun/muzzleloader 2-7x33 (although still wouldn't rule out others like Burris, Nikon). I think they're all good, but what really impresses me about Leupold (aside from quality) is the fact that they are made in the U.S.

Maybe a good question here is, are the "low-end" Leupolds, like the ~$200 ML scope worth looking at?

Anybody care to comment? :roll:

Elites

I'm going to 3X the Firefly reticle being too thick. I have 2 -3200's in 3-9X (one firefly) and will tell you from experience in the northeast and canada, the Rainguard coating alone is worth buying the scope for. I prefer the normal reticle, but honestly, the Firefly is not a big issue either way. Bear hunters i know love the light reticle on blackies at dusk. Bushnell 3200's are very decent optically, the 4200's are better and on par with my leupold Vx-3, but you pay for that. I will comment that I intend to buy a Nikon Omega for a ML just for the eye relief using heavy loads on that particular weapon - Nikon Omegas have >1 inch more than my current fleet. Lot's of great choices these days... :D

All great suggestions. Much appreciated! Although I have to say, I'm beginning to think there are too many really good options :shock:

The Bushnell Elite 3200 is a far better scope than the Leupold Shotgun/Muzzleloader scopes, which are part of their VX-1 or Rifleman lines. You can usually find the Elite 3200 2-7x32 for around $180 or the 3-10x40 for $200.

Well I hope you all are happy.. that Nikon Omega offer hooked me. I don't even need another scope right now. But I will shift a couple around, and see if I can make one work better somewhere else. I am sure this Nikon will be a great scope on my Genesis as the other Nikon scopes I have are top of the line optics too.

Back