Buying off of auction sites

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
Well I just figured out that its pretty much cheaper to buy a modern firearm from someone with a FFL in your local area. I bought a new DPMS AR off of GunBroker and by the time I got finished with everything I had close to $1000.00 for what I thought was a $750 deal. It sure hurts worse these days to learn a valuable lesson.

I have one local dealer that does the transfer for $20.00 and another charges $25.00. Some charge alot more because you bought the gun from someone else and not them. Some will not even do the transfer if it is a gun they carry. I have found alot of the gun auction sites to be high as its just dealers selling off their stock with little or no discount.

Some of these gun auction sites are nothing more then gun dealers selling on line. They have a price in mind and if you don't meet it, then there is no deal. Many of these people are profit oriented and that's all.

I have purchased a lot of muzzleloaders on line and have been lucky. Only one was not quite what the seller claimed. I guess his idea of a little pitting in the barrel and mine were really different. But overall if you look at the seller's history and some of the comments from people who have purchased in the past from them, you can get an idea of what kind of person/business you are dealing with.

I do try and purchase my rifles and scopes locally, but the small shops here just can not compete price wise with some of the retail outlet chains and the auction sites.

If it was close to $250 additional, that sounds a little over the top. Yes you'll have the shipping, & local FFL costs. That should be about it. The best way to ship a handgun us usually U.S Mail in a 'Priority' box. This must be shipped by an FFL. A long gun usually costs about $30 to ship. Of course with either some sellers pad the shipping to add to their bottom line.

You should save when it comes to state sales tax. One should be able to find an FFL that will do a transfer for less than $40. If it's more than that look elsewhere. I've bought more than a few guns long distance. You have to consider all the costs of the deal before you commit. The shopping can be easier than checking the local gun shops, though it's good to help them going too.

I bought a new Rem 700 in 300 saum online from a gun dealer from one of the gunbroker sights and got a really good deal on it. I paid $20 to a local FFL to have it shipped to him and that was the only additional charge I was billed above the actual purchase price.

I usually make an effort to find the actual seller and call them. It paid off for me this week with a NIB Original DISC for only $279 shipped.

Back