Bye Bye T7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Between things at work and the high temps I haven't been to the range in over a month. Finally tonight I just had to get out there. So I rushed and in doing so forgot the BH209 at home. I usually bring 2 ml's one of which is always the savage. Shot the savage, and when getting ready to load the omega realized I forgot BH209. I had left T7 in range box... Told myself I wouldn't use it... but I did.

Never again, the swabbing between shots and cleanup afterword made me throw the remaining 1/2lb or so away. BH209 = more shooting = more practice = more fun = more deer.

One of these days I'm going to get out there again and try out the Disc Extreme and play more with the omega I picked up from a wonderful board member. :wink: Using BH209.

Anyway moral of the story, if you're tempted to use T7 and BH209 is available. Don't give in to temptation!

I feel exactly the same. Over the years, I've shot real black, Pyrodex (loose and pellets), Black Mag3, and T7. I recently got some BH209 and love the stuff! No more swabbing between shots. Last Sunday I put 16 straight shots thru my Prohunter....last shot loaded just as easy as the first! Clean up was simple with Hoppes No. 9. Accuracy was excellent. Well worth the money!

Things seem to be improving, there is no doubt about BH being the best and the market share of the others will be declining, since price is them one weak spot BH has the others should already be looking to match it in all ways and come out with one at least as good and noticeably better priced. Lee

Lee 9 said:
Things seem to be improving, there is no doubt about BH being the best and the market share of the others will be declining, since price is them one weak spot BH has the others should already be looking to match it in all ways and come out with one at least as good and noticeably better priced. Lee

I agree, even if you don't want to use it, you have to agree that this is a good thing for the industry.

G G
Here is some information from the blackhorn site www.blackhorn209.com

Blackhorn 209 is the first and only noncorrosive propellant made for muzzleloaders and black powder cartridges. It is engineered to consistently shoots at higher velocities and with greater accuracy than any other muzzleloader powder available today. In fact, if you compare the benefits of Blackhorn 209, you will quickly see there are 10 areas where Blackhorn 209 simply smokes the competition:

Superior Ballistics and Unbeatable Accuracy
Noncorrosive and Low Residue
No Swabbing Between Shots
Easy Breech Plug Removal
No Special Primers Required
Not Affected by Temperature or Humidity
Uniform Size - "Good to the last shot"
Immediate Cleaning Not Necessary
Cleans with Regular Solvents
Extended Shelf Life

At volume equivalents, Blackhorn 209 is ballistically superior to other muzzleloading propellants. It consistently delivers higher velocities and remarkable accuracy - something every shooter expects but has rarely experienced with other propellants. When using Blackhorn 209, your muzzleloader will consistently perform at peak levels of accuracy. With the industry's lowest standard deviations, you can count on Blackhorn 209 for precise performance and repeatable results.

OK, as a public service for disposal, everyone can send me your unused t7. I will make sure it gets put to good use in my rifles that can't use BH209 :cry: . Of course, my .45 that is ignited by a #11 cap still shot a cloverleaf group two nights ago with only 70 gr of t7 2f and a CR sabot with 200 gr xtp at a little over 1800 fps. Should kill deer out to 150 or so...

I haven't seen any BH209 locally yet. Gonna use T7 again this fall. Haven't even shot my ML in nearly a year. :(

Let's see.......went to the range,,,,forgot the BH209. Didn't like the swabbing with T7,,,so pitches the T7 in favor of BH209 (even tho shooter left it at home) without knowing how BH209 shoots and ignites in "said" rifle.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Patrick White said:
I haven't seen any BH209 locally yet. Gonna use T7 again this fall. Haven't even shot my ML in nearly a year. :(

Have not shot in a year :shock: ???

Went to local GM and asked for BH209, the stockboy said to check to see if they have it behind the counter, the manager behind the counter said "What is that exactly?"

After my glowing review (based completely on what I have heard here) I believe he may look into it. Then again, maybe not.

At least I know t7 will work in my Omega for now. Maybe next year for bh209.

Lee9 wrote:

I agree. I suspect in another year we will all be raving about some other new powder that is just as good and half as expensive.

vabowhntr said:
Patrick White said:

Have not shot in a year :shock: ???

Not my ML. I took my son shooting in February with my AR-15. That's the last time I've been shooting anything. ML would have been in September or October last year getting ready for deer season before I found out I could not hunt where I usually do. :(

Batchief909 said:
Let's see.......went to the range,,,,forgot the BH209. Didn't like the swabbing with T7,,,so pitches the T7 in favor of BH209 (even tho shooter left it at home) without knowing how BH209 shoots and ignites in "said" rifle.

Doesn't make sense to me.

I've shot BH209 about a month prior to this in the "said" omega. It shot great with 200 gr xtp's. Am hoping to use the the 200 shockwave for deer this year in all inlines. I was simply trying to point out that I'm done with the extra swabbing and extra cleaning required with T7. Reason I'm saying it's EXTRA is because it's not needed with BH209. Unless you can't get it to ignite or get a descent group with saboted bullets I see no reason to not be using BH209.

$18 RS with 250gr Parker Hydracons @ 100 yards, Zero Swabbing.. Going to try a 5 shot with the 275's.
Picture496-1.jpg

frontier gander said:
$18 RS with 250gr Parker Hydracons @ 100 yards, Zero Swabbing.. Going to try a 5 shot with the 275's.
Picture496-1.jpg

That is one small target I sure wish I could see a 1" target at 100 yards
Redclub

Latest posts

Back