Cabela's .54 Good Deal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTR2133

Reaction score
I came across a local Cabela's 54 caliber Hawken style side-lock. The pics look good and I think I can get it for $100. Good deal? Anything specific I should look at with these?

100 bucks seems like a low price for a Investarm/Cabela's hawkin rifle.
Make sure the bore is in good shape and not all rusted.
But, having said that, even if it is, the sum of all the other parts are certainly worth 100 bucks. You could always part out the gun and probably double your money selling the parts on eBay.

100 bucks seems like a low price for a Investarm/Cabela's hawkin rifle.
Make sure the bore is in good shape and not all rusted.
But, having said that, even if it is, the sum of all the other parts are certainly worth 100 bucks. You could always part out the gun and probably double your money selling the parts on eBay.
Or, you could get Bobby Hoyt to re-bore it or line it.

A lot of those Cabela Hawkens had a chrome lined bore. You can easily tell as the bore and muzzle looks like stainless, only brighter. Don't know how well the chrome bores stood up to abuse, but suspect they didn't rust.

I have a fast-twist Cabela Carbine with chrome bore that does very well with sabots. Would probably be a tack-driver with good sights. Don't know how the slower twist Hawkens shoot.

If it is chrome lined and you decide to send it to Hoyt, make sure you tell him. The chrome might be very hard on his tooling.

I had the Cabelas Investarms Sporterized Hawken .54 and it was very accurate with roundball, 1st time I hunted with it killed a nice buck at 65 yds and a doe at 40.. Buck was chasing doe shot doe 1st and buck just stood there, reloaded real quiet and then shot him.
Really liked the gun but hardly ever shot it so ended up selling it.

I came across a local Cabela's 54 caliber Hawken style side-lock. The pics look good and I think I can get it for $100. Good deal? Anything specific I should look at with these?
Even if the barrel is roached I’m told that the T/c Hawken barrel will interchange.

If the lock & trigger works, I'd buy it for $100.00 ASAP.
Swab the barrel a few times to ensure it will work & go shoot it.

Latest posts

Back