Cabelas Powderhorn 3X10X40?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cayuga said:
... For instance I shoot a Wolverine with a $19.95 2.5x20 simmons on it. Not a big dollar value there. But that scope had held up for over 200 shots now, never lost zero, has pretty good glass and clarity.. I mean face it, its no Leupold... but I have not broke it. And for my little tree stand shots where 50 yards is tops, it's a great little scope.

Simmons scopes are highly Under-rated. My Sportsman's Guide special cost me $24 delivered and has held up to many range sessions and 5 years of hunting so far. Always dead on.

Getting back to PowderHorn Scopes. I was so impressed with the Cablea's PowderHorn 3-10x40 scopes, that I saw some 3-9x40mm scopes Cabela's PowderHorn Scopes on sale for $29.99 so I picked up two of them. I put one on my brand new CVA Optima. I then proceeded to not only test the rifle but pound the scope. Well I broke the scope. Kind of...

Let me explain. The glass is very clear and it is fast to focus. So I started shooting 450 grain Conical bullets through the Optima. As I was looking down range at the target it was then I noticed it..

On the back eye piece, where you adjust for focus.. all us glasses wearing people know that turning knob.. I had turned it out to adjust. INSIDE the scope, there must be a gasket. And when you turn the scope out, the gasket moves and you can see a half moon inside the scope.

Kind of like when your at the eye doctor and you have your face against that machine that he flips a lens and asks.. is #1 better .. FLIP.. or #2 and for that brief instant you see that other lens curve cross your line of vision. Well now in the scope in the upper 2/3rd, sometimes.. there is that crescent shape of the gasket top. If you screw in the back end of the scope, it must tuck that gasket back in as it disappears.

So I called Cabela's and told them of the problem. They told me to send it in and they would credit me. No questions asked. I have not seen the actual credit appear yet, but I am sure its coming.

I mounted the second 3-9x40mm PowderHorn Scope on the Optima and went outside, determined to break it. Well so far I have not been able to. But I kind of like the scope. It has been holding very true, for its second trip to the range. And if asked.. would you take the rifle hunting.. in a heartbeat.

well after buying it last year I did finally remove the jap Bushnell banner and mounted the cabelas PowderHorn scope 3x10x44MM
So gar so good all went well used a bubble level on the scope and gun and the older cheap tasco bore sighter,I am not sure if you guys from the old school remember what they look liked Hey they do work.
I think the scope on 5 power has about a 4" eye relief works well on the CVA Optima thumb-hole stock set up.

Cayuga , I too just bought a 3x9x40 for 29.99 from Cabelas , but I don't see that it says powder horn on it. I check the numbers and looks like mine might be a different version maybe? For the money I bought it for a spare , the glass is impressive and I can't tell a difference between that and my nikon buckmaster scope.

Glad they didn't hassle with the warranty.
Steve

Latest posts

Back