Postal Match Start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enlarged the photo and looked at it with a magnifying glass. I'd call it 2x.
There are two tears in the paper that may make it appear that it COMPLETELY BROKE THE LINE, but those are tears.
You can also see many tears in the paper with the other rounds on Smokey's original target.
Everyone appreciates you taking the time and incentive to check ;) Thank you.

Scoring.. Bullet MUST completely break the line to count a higher score.

1713713436723.png

Quite honestly, I'm not sure we'll ever see another target that close in scoring.

Having others (judges) involved making scoring calls when necessary will work.

Everyone................ get out and start shoot'n!
You will be surprised how often that happens if we get MORE PEOPLE SHOOTING.....
It was a good exercise for the judges.

There are two tears in the paper that may make it appear that it COMPLETELY BROKE THE LINE, but those are tears.
You can also see many tears in the paper with the other rounds on Smokey's original target.
Everyone appreciates you taking the time and incentive to check ;) Thank you.

Scoring.. Bullet MUST completely break the line to count a higher score.

View attachment 43607
I agree that the bullet must break the line
To clarify it sounds like you want the grease ring to pass over the complete line or the line to be obliterated.
What your failing to acknowledge is that the grease ring doesn't give a true picture of where a bullet actually was.
This isn't a new idea. Uspsa has had overlays for as long as I can rember.
As does 3 gun
Bullseye uses actual diameter plugs on questionable targets so it's well known.

Probably need to change the wording to clarify.
Here is an example of an overlay in use on a 38 supper round its quite surprising to see for tgr first timeScreenshot_20240421-141341_Chrome.jpg
Here a scoring plug for 22lr used to back up the RO Screenshot_20240421-143020_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that the bullet must break the line......................
That's all that counts in a postal match, right ;)

Here's X-ring's target photo. That top bullet is about as close as one can get to breaking the line for an "X" score.
We'll have more questions if shooters use printer paper. The paper is tearing.

Screenshot 2024-04-21 142242.jpg

That's all that counts in a postal match, right ;)

Here's X-ring's target photo. That top bullet is about as close as one can get to breaking the line for an "X" score.
We'll have more questions if shooters use printer paper. The paper is tearing.

View attachment 43612
His is very clear not disputable in my opinion.
Mine on the other hand is deceiving in that it's not crystal clear. It was obvious in person
It's difficult in a picture.
As can be imagined I'm playing devils advocate in a manner to ask the hard questions in advance so we have a standard that is applied across the board.
As this grows Hopefully we don't have problems in the future.
The paper tearing is not the question in my mind it's where was the actual bullet.
A tear is not the bullets tangent breaking the plane of the targets tangent.
I know I'm splitting hairs it's to cause discussion so we all understand what's exspected in advance.

So the wording In the rules needs to read for our purposes.
The grease ring of the bullet must clearly break the line on the target. Since we have no way as judges to overlay or plug the target in person.
All we have is a visual of the target.
Under that wording I would totally agree with 1X

Here using the shoot n c target you get an idea of what I'm pointing in out
Screenshot_20240421-153633_Message+.jpg

The bullet diameter clearly removes the black and tge grease ring is clearly inside of that the shoot n c targets also tear so we're left with a dilemma.
Tge shoot n c targets will score higher thr white targets are easier to see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240421-153633_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421-153633_Message+.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Postal match

Rule ……………

If you agree to participate, you do it at your own risk and will not hold any other person/s liable or responsible for any reason what so ever.

Honor system………..

Two classes.

HUNTING CLASS: Break open actions
:

All CVA break open rifles……….. except when shooting SML

All TC break open rifles………….. except when shooting SML

Patriot actions ………………………..except when shooting SML

All other break open rifles……… except when shooting SML

Traditions break open rifles

Traditions NitroFire

CVA Crossfire

Knight plunger rifles

Flintlocks

Percussion rifles

MODERN CLASS: All other rifles…….. ANY RIFLES SHOOTING SML.

Any rifle with a bolt, or bolt type action required to place any type primer.

TC Omega

All customs

Any SAFE muzzleloading rifle. Any optic. Muzzle brakes ok. Any primer. Any position. Any type projectile.

Any SAFE propellant which your rifle is designed or built to shoot…. BP, Substitutes, SML.

Front rest, bipod or bags. Separate rear rest allowed.

Targets will be the 6” shoot-n-c targets pasted on a piece of cardboard.

Targets may also be a print out of the shoot-n-c target taped to cardboard.

Targets shot at 200yds and/or 100yds, one or the other, or both.

Five (5) shots for score.

Scoring.. Bullets MUST completely break the line to count a higher score. The grease ring of the bullet must clearly and fully break the line on the target. Bullets not on target do not score.

If there’s a questionable score, three individuals will be chosen to make the final decision?

WRITE THE DATE, SCORE, PROPELLANT TYPE AND WEAPON ON YOUR TARGET. PHOTO IT AND POST YOUR TARGET.

Yeah i gotta say its a 10.
View attachment 43626View attachment 43627
Sorry for the late input. I werk 2 jobs this time of year.
I know yer busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest this time of yr. Don't forget to squeeze some " ME TIME " in there here n there bro. Thanks for weighing in on this & being a part of it. I'm sooo glad to see this postal match started in here. This is a great idea.
I hope that the use of the 3 non partial judges went as well as expected. I like & appreciate the way this was handled & ended.

I plan on shooting within the next week or two.I'm sure I can beat Me.All I have to do is hit the cardboard @ 100 yds. might take a month to send it in ( posting is what I think ya call it ) I'm computer handy capped!I I might have to get one of the grand kids to help. I'm going to make some smoke and have some fun.

I plan on shooting within the next week or two.I'm sure I can beat Me.All I have to do is hit the cardboard @ 100 yds. might take a month to send it in ( posting is what I think ya call it ) I'm computer handy capped!I I might have to get one of the grand kids to help. I'm going to make some smoke and have some fun.
Hunter class. Score 48. It has been quite a while since I shot the Gibbs M/L. so Smokey's postal match was a good excuse to dust it off. The wind was stupid. Naturally, I picked the wrong wind condition to shoot in so it took me 2 hours to shoot 4 sighters and then my 5 for score. The next time out I'll shoot the Gibbs using my 530 grain Postell greasers. X

Attachments

• DSC_0214.JPG
    DSC_0214.JPG
    832.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0211.JPG
    DSC_0211.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0209.JPG
    DSC_0209.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back