Can Sabots be Competitive??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Just curious here. I'm wondering if anyone uses sabots while shooting longer range competitions? I'm going to be ordering an Accurate bullet mold, and with my rifle being 50 Cal, I'm wondering if I should go with a .430 or .451 dia bullet w/sabot to have a lesser rainbow trajectory than a full bore bullet???? Now I'm taking about ranges of say 500 yds or less. Not sure if I'll even have enough MOA adjustment in my scope to make this happen????

My Firehawk has given me quite a collection of sub inch 100 yard groups. Aperture sights btw.
But, their limit will be the length/ weight of bullet used. In .a .50 shooting .45s 300 grains is about it.
On a calm day, all is well. I suppose the sabot load can be the most accurate, but it can't really carry it as far as a full bore due to wind issues.

On a calm day, all is well. I suppose the sabot load can be the most accurate, but it can't really carry it as far as a full bore due to wind issues.
Please explain.

If you're shooting a .451" bullet in a sabot, which leaves the bullet at exit, or a .451" bullet, bullet to bore, or, a .501" bullet to bore, why does the wind affect one over the other (same bullet)?

It's the ballistic properties of the bullet. It's ballistic coefficient in particular. Diameter being equal, a longer heavier bullet requires more force( wind) to push it off course than a lighter shorter bullet.
Velocity also figures in. A faster bullet gives wind less time to act on it before it gets to the target. A balance can be struck, but generally the longer heavier bullet usually wins.
A good example are the heavier. 224 caliber bullets in service match with the 5.56 Nato. You don't see the 55 grain very much. The 69 and heavier are more common even though slower. They handle the wind better. Trajectory is a simple sight adjustment. Wind is a whole other story. It's a guessing game at best.

It's the ballistic properties of the bullet. It's ballistic coefficient in particular. Diameter being equal, a longer heavier bullet requires more force( wind) to push it off course than a lighter shorter bullet.
Velocity also figures in. A faster bullet gives wind less time to act on it before it gets to the target. A balance can be struck, but generally the longer heavier bullet usually wins.
A good example are the heavier. 224 caliber bullets in service match with the 5.56 Nato. You don't see the 55 grain very much. The 69 and heavier are more common even though slower. They handle the wind better. Trajectory is a simple sight adjustment. Wind is a whole other story. It's a guessing game at best.
The sabot loads just won't keep up with any of the bullet to bore shooting. I'm quite aware of ballistics and how bullets react as a long range shooter. LONG RANGE is beyond 500yds and to 1,000yds. Hopefully soon to 1,300yds. With 120grs VOLUME of BH209.

I've shot 5 shot groups at 400yds that measure 1.5"....... with sabots and 300gr bullets AND T7 PELLETS. But, the same bullet shot bullet to bore is much more accurate.

If you notice the competitions, nobody is shooting using sabots. Heavier bullets are better for LONG RANGE.

Buuuuttt...
If a long enough sabot WAS available, it would send a pristine bullet downrange. Smooth sided and cast hard as you please to resist nose droop. Maybe even a boat tail? Very useful at long range.
No wad or lube issues? That would take some of the fun out of it...
MMP? Harvester? Ya listening? That could be interesting...

Buuuuttt...
If a long enough sabot WAS available, it would send a pristine bullet downrange. Smooth sided and cast hard as you please to resist nose droop. Maybe even a boat tail? Very useful at long range.
No wad or lube issues? That would take some of the fun out of it...
MMP? Harvester? Ya listening? That could be interesting...
The Harvester H5045LB is a pretty long sabot, longer than the 300gr bullets available today. I have some .452" cast bullets that a friend gave me, which should shoot very well in a 50cal with the H5045LB. However I no longer own a 50cal.
Boat tail bullets give zero advantages in muzzleloaders. The Barnes TMZ is a boat tail but, it has no advantage over the flat base. Barnes are not used in competitive shooting with such a low BC.

I'm surprised a boat tail would give no benefit. In cartridge rifles they certainly do, especially when the round goes subsonic, in terms of retained velocity. Breech/muzzleloaded isn't apples to apples most times. Harry Pope, and others, muzzleloading a cartridge rifle did shoot some scary good scores back in the day.

Back