Can you smell the elk cooking?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkhuntfever

Reaction score
Only 29 more years to go to my 100th birthday. Raised in Ithaca, Michigan with a love for hunting and fishing. Though I live near Indianapolis, I am only visiting for the last 52 years. Michigan is home. Colorado elk with muzzleloader is in the plans this year so I have come to the experts for inspiration. Looking forward to the quest. Elkhuntfever

Welcome, there is a great bunch of knowledge here.
BTW, can you smell the wild turkey/snow goose noodle soup I got brewing on the stove right now?

Seeing Colorado requires bore riding bullets, you may need to put a wad on top of the BlackHorn (or use another powder) to be 100% reliable... especially on a cold soaked morning: BlackHorn needs to be sealed up well to function reliably. And depending our your rifle's bore and your bullet choice, you may not have a good enough seal without a wad on top of the powder. You can read all about the various methods and successes and issues folks have reported on this forum via the search function.

In that Omega, if you've never shot conicals/bore riders, and have the QLA, you need to know if its going to affect your accuracy. Some QLAs are ok, some are not. Using sub bases can help.

So.......if you are going to elk hunt in Colorado, you will be required to shoot 50 caliber bullets from your 50 caliber Omega.

The QLA of the Omega rifles is notorious for throwing bullets like shotgun pellets.

The cure for this is to use a Sub-Base as the wad. The boy, and myself each killed our deer this year using these sub-base as the wad for 50 caliber bullets, shot from our Omega rifles.

There are ten more bags of them Sub-Base coming here to the house in the next few days, because they work.

Latest posts

Back