Canuck in Texas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
MOVED TO CORRECT LOCATION

Good day from 'just far enough away from Houston for me'.

Originally from the tropical isle of Newfoundland, Canada, now with about 20 years in SE Texas.  Avid centerfire shooter now sauntering over to give this BP thing a try.  I'm currently the owner or a Pedersoli 50 cal flintlock rifle and 60 cal harpers' ferry flintlock pistol.  I'm basically just getting to know the hardware and replacing some things that I don't like, such as the wooden rod.  Yeah...I'll bust that thing in a day or two, so I've got that replaced!  I've also taken a bit time to get a decent possibles bag set up.  I just need to decide on a bore cleaner/lube.  I currently use bore butter, but that doesn't seem to be terribly well liked in the BP community.

My current project is to get a decent accuracy charge and sight in to that.   Currently it's looking like about 75gr of 2F Goex is hitting about a foot too low at 50 yards.  Time to break out the file!

Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize
03081810.jpg

Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize
12011710.jpg

markthenewf

Welcome from a native born Texan ,Im sure you got here as soon as you could. Houston is where I was born but was raised just south on the mainland . I love Pedersoli's have several myself,they are hard to beat in my opinion.

mark1945

There are more lube concoctions than can be counted. Mix yer own. Moose Milk is an old standby. Another some think an improvement is Moose Snot. (Google them) I've tried many lubes over the decades and have found chicken fat and Crisco to be, by far, the wustest. Currently, I am using, and liking, a mix of beeswax and whale oil. I also have a stand-by supply of beeswax/peanut oil mix for when the whale is used up. For cleaning, again, scores of ideas. I use dishwashing soap and water. Works for me. For rust prevention, your climate is a big factor. WD-40 may be fine. But Barricade gets high marks from a lot of ml'ers. I've never used it but plan to try.

Buck Conner said:
Welcome from a native born Texan ,Im sure you got here as soon as you could. Houston is where I was born but was raised just south on the mainland . I love Pedersoli's have several myself,they are hard to beat in my opinion.

mark1945
Yeah, I got down here in December of '97 for my first job out of school.  I was put up in a corporate apartment that had a pool.  I was that one guy in the complex that was out swimming in the unheated pool in December.  Hey, it was 78 during the day.  That's a warm summer day to me where I grew up.

The quality of the Pedersoli is pretty good.  There are a couple of boogaboos that I don't like, and all are related to the fasteners.  Basically they're made of pot metal or something so they're easy to tear up the heads on.  I can't get the flash hole insert to budge at all and the head is starting to deform. Not sure if I'm going to have to drill it out or something.  The forward lock screw was similar.  After finally getting that one out, it looks like there was some varnish or something in the threads causing it to jam.  I have a good Brownells' screw driver set (necessary when you have a levergun!), but even the snug-fitting head just deforms the slot.  :(

Rifleman1776 said:
There are more lube concoctions than can be counted. Mix yer own. Moose Milk is an old standby. Another some think an improvement is Moose Snot. (Google them) I've tried many lubes over the decades and have found chicken fat and Crisco to be, by far, the wustest. Currently, I am using, and liking, a mix of beeswax and whale oil. I also have a stand-by supply of beeswax/peanut oil mix for when the whale is used up. For cleaning, again, scores of ideas. I use dishwashing soap and water. Works for me. For rust prevention, your climate is a big factor. WD-40 may be fine. But Barricade gets high marks from a lot of ml'ers. I've never used it but plan to try.
I've got a tin of mink oil paste that I got as an option when I first got the rifle.  I think I may give that a try next.  I've been using Murphys/Peroxide/Alcohol mix for cleaning and it seems to work quite well.  Since I'm in the Gulf of Mexico region it's fairly humid, so I definitely need to see about a bore protectant for storage.  I've got heaps of stuff that I use for centerfire guns, but I'm not sure if using any of that would be a contamination issue with black powder.

MARKTHENEWF,
                          I look towards ya MARK,
 One of my daughters lives and races horses in TEXAS ,became an AMERICAN this past summer.....
living and racing in NEW MEXICO for awhile but misses the LONE STAR STATE...
                 With winter coming,me thinks  TEXAS  beats NFLD. !!!!!!!
                                                       WASATCH CHARLIE

WASATCH CHARLIE said:
MARKTHENEWF,
                          I look towards ya MARK,
 One of my daughters lives and races horses in TEXAS ,became an AMERICAN this past summer.....
living and racing in NEW MEXICO for awhile but misses the LONE STAR STATE...
                 With winter coming,me thinks  TEXAS  beats NFLD. !!!!!!!
                                                       WASATCH CHARLIE
Texas has treated me well, though I am not a fan of Houston.  Too many people in too many cars causing too much fuss.  And the smell.  I can't find my rum of choice here either, so I have to get it sent from back home.  On the up side: TexMex and Tequila.  No, I do not own a stetson hat (too much hair for hats), duster (too damn hot for jackets), or cowboy boots (heels?  Really?). 

Guaranteed Texas winters are heaps more fun than back on the rock.  It's not as cold as mainland Canada, but it sure is 'uncomfortable' a lot.

I'm living in a small town perhaps 15 minutes outside of Houston, and there are quite a few people that still ride horses for pleasure.  You'll see them on Sundays just meandering down the side roads (lots of corn and cotton fields).

Well,you have found ''your'' paradise and that is what counts........
yes me boy, you won't find ''schreech''  in many places down south......
as far as big cities, they are ALL the same...... not my cup of tea.......
other daughter was visiting friends in the NAPA VALLEY....spend 4 days in SAN-FRAN-    sure a filthy place now......full of druggies.... was a lot different back in the 60s......
any how, keep yer powder dry and enjoy life..... I was in my 30's not long ago....now I'm over 71......
   but I got lots of guns !!!!!!!!
                                                      cheers   glenn

Latest posts

Back