Capper for 1860 Army

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummy1

Reaction score
Anyone have a opinion on a capper for 1860 revolvers? Bought a Cash snail but not real happy with it.
Maybe an inline type.
From what I read the double spring type suck.
Did you use one Pete?
My fingers are way to big for this. Like trying to do watch repair with boxing gloves on :lol!:

LOL!

You can use one of the straight line cappers. Push them on tight with the hammer afterward.

I never counted but it's probably over a dozen. Loading the caps in them is a PIA though. They work good to cap a revolver.

yep, depends on the length, some are around 12, others go up to 24-25ish.

Get the Cash inline capper; holds 20 caps and made in USA (Waunakee, Wisconsin).

I have been using the Cash "snail" capper for about 20 years. Yes, caps do not want to turn loose sometimes, but its easy to work with Colts & Ruger OA. Some Remingtons are SOL because of the small cut-out around the nipples on the cylinder.

Just pour the caps in, and gently shake the capper sideways before closing the capper, and most of the caps will right themselves like using a RCBS primer tray.

The big advantage.... it holds 100 caps!

Been using the Ted Cash cappers for many years.  I occasionally find cappers in scrounge boxes at gunshows.  Seems like the older ones were longer and held more caps than the newer cappers. 

Always wanted to get one of the snail cappers for ease of loading, but too many people say they're clumsy to use.

Back