caps... at the dollar store?!?!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouscowherd

Reaction score
Yup, "percussion caps" ...

Haven't tried them with a load of powder but they fit on my rifle's nipple fine and give a rather healthy pop when the hammer smacks 'em.

Under $3 for 160 of 'em... Unfortunately for me (and you I guess) I use "dollar store" as a generic one-name-fits-all so I can't tell you which chain for sure...

IMG_0358.jpg

I'll be headed to the dollar store to see if I can rustle some up. We have two different $ stores in town, might take a bit!!

I have used them, and they will ignite real black powder. Not sure about the substitutes as they require a hotter flame to set them off. They definitely work in a pinch. I cut the individual caps from the ring and push them hard onto the nipple to set them. I would use them should I run out of #11 caps and can't locate anymore at reasonable prices. It seems the going rate now is $.14 per cap. I remember when I could buy a tin of 100 caps for $2.50. Those days are gone for good I fear.

Yup, "percussion caps" ...

Haven't tried them with a load of powder but they fit on my rifle's nipple fine and give a rather healthy pop when the hammer smacks 'em.

Under $3 for 160 of 'em... Unfortunately for me (and you I guess) I use "dollar store" as a generic one-name-fits-all so I can't tell you which chain for sure...

View attachment 32796
Man that's a smart idea

Guys have been doing this for years..they fit a little snug on a #11 nipple and aren’t nearly as hot as a standard #11 but they do work with real black powder successfully

You know - just out of curiosity I have the same things I used to train m labs when they were pups. I ran a patch down the bore into the breech area and fired off a couple of these in my sidelock rifle. Yes they went bang but when I pulled the patch there wasn't even the slightest evidence of any black soot/fouling. Not like when a percussion cap goes off. I don't think there would be enough material in these plastic caps to ignite powder reliably.

I haven't tried it, but I've seen vids of folks takin the loads out of 2 or 3 and combining them in homemade caps. I would be concerned with the plastic punching out into the nipple.

Brief report of firing attempt.

3 caps went pop just fine on the nipple. However, none kicked off a charge of 3Fg real black. Punted and tried some of my CCI #11s that aren't that great (they were from walmart and a lot that was 4 years old when I bought), they didn't kick off the charge either. Finally went to one of my few Remington #10s and the first one fired the charge fine.

Do believe my nipple needs cleaning, etc. and then I'll try again.

Verdict is still "well, maybe"

Brief report of firing attempt.

3 caps went pop just fine on the nipple. However, none kicked off a charge of 3Fg real black. Punted and tried some of my CCI #11s that aren't that great (they were from walmart and a lot that was 4 years old when I bought), they didn't kick off the charge either. Finally went to one of my few Remington #10s and the first one fired the charge fine.

Do believe my nipple needs cleaning, etc. and then I'll try again.

Verdict is still "well, maybe"
I would definitely clean the rifle/nipple if the cci caps didn’t work. Interested to see a report after that

I popped one on my screw barrel kit gun. It popped nicely. I will try to get to the range sometime this week and see if I can get this thing to fire BP.

Back