Cartridge Reloading Versus Smokeless Muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been reloading for over 40 years. Only been shooting smokeless muzzleloaders for a short while.
While shooting my Patriot yesterday, I realized that shooting smokeless muzzleloaders have many advantage over reloading cartridges.
1. No tumbling of brass.
2. No lubing of brass.
3. No sizing of brass if shooting sabot loads ( if you shoot bore to bore bullets of course you do have to size bullets).
4. No primer pocket cleaning.
5. No priming of brass ( placing primer in the rifle is similar).
6. No expense of dies, etc.
What say you?

I’ve never felt handicapped with only one shot.
Im with you on that thought. But Id be lying if I said a second shot never made a difference. Both of my elk took more than 1. the 5x5 took two and the 6x6 took three. Not sure how bad they needed the extra lead but I didnt want any second guessing.

Centerfires are for women and children.
Ill wear my dress next time I hunt groundhogs. To me there is nothing better than my 243 win. with 70 grain TNTs.

For over 20 years I hunted with a T/C renegade with a 530 gr. Hard cast Maxi-Ball.
Great penetration but no expansion. Often there was no reaction to the hit. Lots of trailing which helped me to learn sign to find animals.
Likely killed over 75 deer, and multiple black bear with that load.
Never needed a follow up. However, had I been using a cartridge gun I could’ve got off another shot, that wasn’t actually necessary.
In most cases should a follow up shot be needed there would be time to reload a muzzleloader.

I actually prefer sml over reloading . One shot, ummm. Let me say this i am a true south paw, my rifles & shotguns & ML's have all been right handed. Mostly bolt action, seldom in my 65 years of hunting was i able to make a second shot. I never think about that.

I have a smokeless muzzleloader that will shoot a 300 grain bullet at Mach 3. If an elephant escapes from your local zoo and is threatening your neighbors, I believe my muzzleloader could stop the threat.

I wonder how much money I have spent on brass in the past? Have you bought any 7mmSTW brass lately?

bought any 7mmSTW brass lately?

When you buy calibers that are less than common or older you will run into expensive brass. Im thinking you know that when you bought it. Kinda like buying an expensive sports car, You know any dents, dings, and maintenance will be much more expensive. But its nice to drive an expensive car once in a while. 😃

Been reloading for over 40 years. Only been shooting smokeless muzzleloaders for a short while.
While shooting my Patriot yesterday, I realized that shooting smokeless muzzleloaders have many advantage over reloading cartridges.
1. No tumbling of brass.
2. No lubing of brass.
3. No sizing of brass if shooting sabot loads ( if you shoot bore to bore bullets of course you do have to size bullets).
4. No primer pocket cleaning.
5. No priming of brass ( placing primer in the rifle is similar).
6. No expense of dies, etc.
What say you?
I don’t have a SML yet, I definitely hope to get one, but I can’t ever see a situation where I wouldn’t do both. That is, until a smokeless ml gives me the same ballistic performance as a .300 Win Mag or the same long range performance as a 6 Dasher, or can replace my Garands at CMP events. Variety is good.

When you buy calibers that are less than common or older you will run into expensive brass. Im thinking you know that when you bought it. Kinda like buying an expensive sports car, You know any dents, dings, and maintenance will be much more expensive. But its nice to drive an expensive car once in a while. 😃
A lot of my brass comes from our club range but now I don't pick it up now that I'm smokeless . And no fancy cars for me, an old King Ranch F350 with 80,00 miles will get me there and back !/Ed

I dont think I will give up my cartridge guns anytime soon. I love my 357 Max single shot pistol and rifle, pretty much all I hunt with now. The 280AI is pretty much retired, only brought out for special long range occasions. I like shooting all of my guns, cartridge or SML.

I don’t have a SML yet, I definitely hope to get one, but I can’t ever see a situation where I wouldn’t do both. That is, until a smokeless ml gives me the same ballistic performance as a .300 Win Mag or the same long range performance as a 6 Dasher, or can replace my Garands at CMP events. Variety is good.

Have you looked at the ballistics of a 300 grain bullet traveling at Mach 3? Have you seen the groups some people are shooting with smokeless muzzleloaders at long range?

I used to be a Benchrest shooter. I have a 300 Win Mag, and a 6mmBr.

I have been amazed at what a smokeless muzzleloader can do. Many others on this forum have shot much better groups than what is in the video below.

I got into muzzle loading to shoot real black and percussion and maybe flint...

That said, reloading > smokeless ML. Much larger variety of calibers, bullets, powders available/suitable and much wider variety in performance levels possible and quite often cheaper per shot. Once you go past a certain number of shots per range session, even reloading on a single stage is less total time spent per round loading compared to a ML, never mind using a progressive or one of the automated dillon machines.

Yes, the .30 cal guys are breaking new ground but between the twist requirements and obturation needed along with the need to be able to push the bullet down the barrel with a reasonable amount of pressure will enforce limits that aren't there with cartridge guns.

And just to stir things up, I'll point out that we reload shotgun hulls as well and I've yet to see mention of anyone playing with a smokeless ML shogtun for turkey season... :)

I got into muzzle loading to shoot real black and percussion and maybe flint...

That said, reloading > smokeless ML. Much larger variety of calibers, bullets, powders available/suitable and much wider variety in performance levels possible and quite often cheaper per shot. Once you go past a certain number of shots per range session, even reloading on a single stage is less total time spent per round loading compared to a ML, never mind using a progressive or one of the automated dillon machines.

Yes, the .30 cal guys are breaking new ground but between the twist requirements and obturation needed along with the need to be able to push the bullet down the barrel with a reasonable amount of pressure will enforce limits that aren't there with cartridge guns.

And just to stir things up, I'll point out that we reload shotgun hulls as well and I've yet to see mention of anyone playing with a smokeless ML shogtun for turkey season... :)
I had every plan on going there, but bc of the BP in the shotgun, it wasn't wise to try it with. So I chose to forego that kind of testing - for the time being anyway.

Latest posts

Back