Cast bullets and bh209 issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickelGL

Reaction score
So I started casting bullets this summer , to prepare in case I draw a Colorado elk tag next year. I’ve had decent success in my side locks using goex. When I use goex in my inlines I get a horrible crud ring. These inlines have always shoot bh209 without that problem. Its so bad that I can get a cleaning rod stuck after 1 shot.
I know that bh likes have some compression, hence the reason people have issues in cold weather and using power belts or the like. So my question is has anyone had issues running bh209 and cast bullets ? I also run a .54 cal felt wad between the load and projectile.
Side note if there is a good thread on this some where please post a link. I tried searching but didn’t find what I was looking for.

my question is has anyone had issues running bh209 and cast bullets

No, no absolutely no. Blackhorn has always worked perfectly for me using any bullet; any cast bullet.

It is my opinion; most of the "issues" using Blackhorn powder are either myths, or caused by poorly designed breech plugs.

No, no absolutely no. Blackhorn has always worked perfectly for me using any bullet; any cast bullet.

It is my opinion; most of the "issues" using Blackhorn powder are either myths, or caused by poorly designed breech plugs.
Thats good to hear. I am definitely going to try it this fall and hopefully have a load worked up for this winter.

II shoot 70 gr of bh209 and I use a 54cal felt wad between my powder and my 460 gr lead con. works great. And shoots lights out to boot

See that’s what I was hoping to hear. I don’t know where I rear it I thought guys were having ignition problems

Ive shot quite a few through a custom Savage 45 and 2 Knight 45s using BH209. My Knights will shoot them no problem using just a Win209 and fiber wad. You want around .002 over lands and a good wad. At the range i dont get too fancy but for hunting i use 1 veggie under the wool for a tighter seal. You can also use a poly wad for a REALLY tight seal.

Since then i had a plug made to fit Fed209As better so in that rifle i will be using mag primers for the added insurance. You want your primers to seal as well as possible. They should come out nearly spotless or they are leaking.

I’ve had a few BH-dud with my big bore in-lines with no wad. I shoot a 540gr conical out of my 54 that just touch the rifling when loading (basically a bore rider).
I made a punch to cut LDPE wads and no issues since.
39671289-E4C5-45AA-B301-0BAF8A6F6DA1.jpeg

I’ve had a few BH-dud with my big bore in-lines with no wad. I shoot a 540gr conical out of my 54 that just touch the rifling when loading (basically a bore rider).
I made a punch to cut LDPE wads and no issues since.
View attachment 17082

I had several Duds with my Knight Mountaineer, BH209 would not ignite my Target Loads (Slip Fit Cast Bullets, with Wool Felt Wads) I had a few Bullets Pop out of the Barrel and Roll down the Rd in front of me 😆 Luckily i had some tight fitting Vege Fibre Wads with me, if i had not had them i wouldn't have been able to Shoot my Rifle that Day. I wasn’t about to change my Proven Loads to shoot BH209 powder, I chose to light the BH209 on Fire and not look back :lewis:

I had several Duds with my Knight Mountaineer, BH209 would not ignite my Target Loads (Slip Fit Cast Bullets, with Wool Felt Wads) I had a few Bullets Pop out of the Barrel and Roll down the Rd in front of me 😆 Luckily i had some tight fitting Vege Fibre Wads with me, if i had not had them i wouldn't have been able to Shoot my Rifle that Day. I wasn’t about to change my Proven Loads to shoot BH209 powder, I chose to light the BH209 on Fire and not look back :lewis:
This is interesting. Today I had a shot that sounded like a dud. My buddy said the bullet landed in front of the 25 yard target. I was using a W209 and BH. One thing is that the bullet went done very easily. Im guessing this could ave been caused by lack of a seal?

This is interesting. Today I had a shot that sounded like a dud. My buddy said the bullet landed in front of the 25 yard target. I was using a W209 and BH. One thing is that the bullet went done very easily. Im guessing this could ave been caused by lack of a seal?

Lack of compression would be my guess as well, do you have a BH209 approved Breech Plug? And headspaced for ZERO Blow by? BH209 requires X amount of Compression to Reliably ignite. It’s a real confidence booster when you see your Bullet Bounce off the Ground in front of your Target huh?

This is directly from Western Powder themselves

18. Can I use Conical bullets with Blackhorn 209?
In many cases conical bullets may work fine. However, results vary depending on the many factors so we cannot recommend conical bullets. However, many shooters have reported good results with Hornady FPB and Thor bullets.

Knight Ultralight with a Lehigh Defense BP and primers are clean as can be. Im pretty sure it was a seal now that I think about it I was using a Harvester ribbed sabot with a barnes MZ

Knight Ultralight with a Lehigh Defense BP and primers are clean as can be. Im pretty sure it was a seal now that I think about it I was using a Harvester ribbed sabot with a barnes MZ

That was mine as well (Lehigh Breech Plug) I had mine Headspaced for ZERO Blow by. My problem was from my “Slip Fit” Target Bullets and Wool Felt Wads, There just isn’t enough Compression on the Powder, Which BH209 Needs

Some of my Primers from my Old Mountaineer and Proper Headspaced Lehigh Breech Plug, as you can see they are SQUEEKY Clean, and this was with Swiss REAL Blackpowder
XKScWcl.jpg

FqyownT.jpg

Well that’s changed quickly lol. So those who are using real black powder do you get a crud ring ? If so how to combat it? Mines so bad I can easily get a jag stuck trying to clean it after 1 shot.

Well that’s changed quickly lol. So those who are using real black powder do you get a crud ring ? If so how to combat it? Mines so bad I can easily get a jag stuck trying to clean it after 1 shot.

As long as you follow BH209s requirements you shouldn’t have any issues, There are LOTS N LOTS of Folks that use, and swear by it. The failures you read about are not the powders fault, rather the user not following BH209 Requirements.

If i were ever to Re-visit BH209, I personally would use a TIGHT fitting Vege or LDPE (POLY) Wad, and a Good tight fitting Bullet. I know from hands on experience that “Slip fit” Home Cast Bullets and Wool Felt Wads are a Failure waiting to Happen

When i say “Slip Fit” i am talking Bullets that go down the Bore with virtually no effort, They just “Kiss” the Rifling on the way Down, Just my Thumb and index finger on the Range Rod are all that’s needed to easily Load. This is how i shoot Bench/Target from 50, to 1,200 Yards. Real Blackpowder (Swiss) can’t be beat here. The tiniest spark and it’s GONE.

Latest posts

Back